AM radio sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: AM radio sounds terrible

I listen to AM radio ALL the time. I just got my '06 Civic this past weekend, and I immediately was stunned at how bad the AM sounded. When I switched to FM, the sound was a bit better, but reception is horrible. Nearly all stations have static and weak signals. I've never had a worse sounding radio in a car ever. VERY disapointing.

That said, I had hoped to swap out the stereo anyway. As I'm knew the stock stereo wouldn't satisfy. Has anyone swapped out the system? It seems like it could be rather hard, with the built in navigation system. Is it possible to swap out the factory head unit at all? Or am I only going to be able to change the speakers? I'm sure a speaker upgrade will make things sound a little better, but considering how horrible the radio is, the entire thing could use replacing IMHO.

Anyone have any experience with all of this in an '06 Civic Hybrid with Nav?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 AM
AllThingsAuto
Default Re: AM radio sounds terrible

Greetings;
I have read & heard that the Hybrid has an external antenna because of the battery behind the rear seat's interference w/ the in the rear window version antenna of the nonhybrid. Perhaps the interference is affecting the rear speakers and shielding is in order. My 2006 hybrid #016311, or thereabouts, doesn't seem to be too bad w/ sound quality, even in AM mode. I'll check rear/front fading and see if the rear is worse...