autostop and temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Re: autostop and temperature

Originally Posted by Sledge
A Hummer falling off a cliff would be getting huge fuel economy Until it reached the bottom, of course
a take off on the tree in the woods saying...
If a Hummer fell off a cliff and no one was there to see it, would there be a noise ?

Of course if there was someone there (especially from this group) there would be thunderous applause, so lots of noise !

Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well I have some potentially bad news. The Auto STop actually may not work in very warm temperatures. heres the deal; I have only had the car a few days. Its worked fine the first two days and this morning was fine as well.

When I went to the surface parking lot today at around 12:30, it would nt work until after about 10 minutes of driving. This evening it worked fine.

I believe that if the battery gets two hot that the auto stop will not work. Once the car gets going, the battery is cooled by the vented air circulation.

It would be great if I am wrong. I'll have to watch this for awhile.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

I guess it has to do with the A/C setup, there is one bigger compressor driven by the engine, and one smaller, electrical pump. It needs the bigger compressor to cool down a hot interior, but the smaller one is enough for keeping it cool. So autostop won't work until the car has cooled down.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Just an update. The auto stop works fine on my car. The day was much cooler today, but as the summer heats up here in Houston ( lot pavement can easily hit 130F) we will see what happens.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 PM

I live in Phoenix, AZ and my auto stop seems to work great even right after I turn the car on in the mid-afternoon (mid 90's today).

Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM

I hope you are right Clyde. I lived in Scottsdale for awhile, and 90 degrees over there isnt very hot compared to 90 in Houston. ( 100% humidity is simply uncomfortable).

With the first true summer for the hch II quickly approaching, we will soon see how pavement temperature affects the autostop function.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've never seen the autostop feature not work because the temperature was too hot, only when it was too cold. I do live in Chicago, it's true, but I got the car back in August and there were some hot days at the end of the summer, so I think I would have noticed if that was happening. Still, you've made me want to check the manual to see if there's an upper temp limit as well as a low one, and find out what it might be.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Hello,

In my '04 in the heat of summer here (120+) I never had any trouble during two summers but the '06 may be different. I guess we are all about to find out.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I've never seen the autostop feature not work because the temperature was too hot, only when it was too cold. I do live in Chicago, it's true, but I got the car back in August and there were some hot days at the end of the summer, so I think I would have noticed if that was happening. Still, you've made me want to check the manual to see if there's an upper temp limit as well as a low one, and find out what it might be.
I have yet to experince an outside temperature above 60 when driving the HCH, so I wouldn't know. However, when driving down a steep hill creating a lot of regen I find that it sometimes stops doing AS for no immediately apparent reason. I have two possible theories about this -
1. The ICE was still barely warmed up. As I go down hill the ICE is in valves-shut mode and is cooling down. If this goes on long enough the engine cools down below the AS threshold.
2. The battery pack heats up from getting too much regen too quickly, and the IMA decides that it needs to give the batteries time to cool down. So it avoids AS to prevent battery power from being used.