Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bass Speaker System vs. Aftermarket Speakers

The Kappa Perfects are great speakers, but they're physically to big for the Civic doors. Installation actually requires sawing into the door structure; not something I suggest doing.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
I don't have a picture yet, however the magnet on the stock speakers is very very small and is half the size of the bass speakers. I am not sure if this helps any.
the magnets on the stock speakers are neodymium. They don't need to be very large because the magnetic properties of neodymium versus a ferrite varietal are significant. They are also quite a lot more expensive. They did this to save weight. Granted, they also produce a different sound at different frequencies than ferrite, they have their purpose. I prefer the sound of ferrite magnets for mid-bass and true bass, neodymium is perfect for tweeters.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
mgg
Enthusiast

I no this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experience. I just installed the bass system in my 2009 hybrid. I have the standard radio and CD player/ No Satellite Radio.

I just could not stand the sound of the factory system. I traded my PT Cruiser for this car because of he gas mileage but the PT had a very good audio system.

My impression of the standard system was that not only did it lack bass but it also lacked lower midrange, the warmth region. Also the treble would blow you out of the car if it didn't sound so splashy. At first I thought my tweeters might be blown but that is not it. They are very bright, not really crossed over so that they blend well, and fire right into the windshield.

The bass system fixes the lower midrange. It also produces surprisingly deep bass however some to the bass is just way over done due to the trunk space. The amplifiers suggested settings for my system were 9 o'clock for both volume and high cut. I have played with this a little and find that the volume is much better set at 6.5 to 7 o'clock. I am still messing with the high pass but it is presently set at 9 o'clock. (Don't want to loose the warmth region. Everything else on my factory HU is set to zero except the treble which is set somewhere between -3 and -5 depending on what I am listening to and is usually just left at -4.

The system still does not sound as good as the PT Cruiser. But it is close the tweeter still does not blend with the midrange well it is like a separate entity but it is all more than just listen-able it is enjoyable.

I can recommend the bass system as it has transformed my system into something listen-able. I am still going to replace the front speakers and try to get something where the tweeter is smoother and blends better.

But this was not alot of work or money for what you get in sound quality.

I love the sound of neodymium magnets. There are at least 2 high end speaker manufacturers that are using them. Polk and Alpine in there high end speakers. If you read the wikapidia on neo magnets you will find that they have the ability to be 18 times the strength of ferrite magnets.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Resident ICE Wizard

Although it will add some weight, get a Dynamat door kit from your local stereo shop installed. This will fix the mid bass problem. It will help with some of the road noise a bit also. The typical Dynamat Extreme door kit weighs about 20 pounds.

Name:  IMG_0561.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  115.7 KB

Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't see how it would, the air bags come out of the roof and the side of the seat, the only thing the door does is contain the side beam, I am not aware of any passive system that is between the door sub assembly and the interior tirm nor any system that has to pass through that reigon

Old 03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
mgg
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superjay
Although it will add some weight, get a Dynamat door kit from your local stereo shop installed. This will fix the mid bass problem. It will help with some of the road noise a bit also. The typical Dynamat Extreme door kit weighs about 20 pounds.

Thanks for the post.
Are you using stock speakers?
I just bought 30 sq ft of Second Skin Damplifier 2 DynaXorb pads and some closed cell foam. I was going to do some of the trunk as well.

It looks like you sealed the doors. I was just planing on doing the inside of the outside surface, applying the pads and closed cell foam over the damplifier.

Did you plug the holes with something solid like aluminum or plastic or did you just put the Dynamat over them?

MGG