Battery Shut-off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Shut-off Switch

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just got my 2006 Civic Hybrid a week ago and I love driving it. I would like to post a question, I have noticed on Ford's Escape hybrid there are two high-voltage battery shut-off switches and I wonder if there is also a high-voltage battery shut-off for the Civic hybrid. If so, where does it located. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Battery Shut-off Switch

Maxi3D,

I've never seen one. I don't recall seeing any mention in the owner's manual either.

Welcome to GH. Good luck with your new ride!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Shut-off Switch

Honda's website has some articles aimed at firefighters, they claim that if the ignition is off, then the high-voltage system is disabled.

Don't know if any additional switches are there, I don't recall anything like that.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmh3
Honda's website has some articles aimed at firefighters, they claim that if the ignition is off, then the high-voltage system is disabled.

Don't know if any additional switches are there, I don't recall anything like that.
Can you send a link?

They must use relays that are open until voltage is applied such that should the ignition be off or the power cut in the case of an accident, the relays would switch to open with the absence of voltage, thereby cutting off the high voltage from the battery system.

I do know that there are 3 high voltage lines that run under the passenger side of the car to the IMA from the battery packs.

I guess in the event of an accident with the Hybrid, shut off the engine as soon as it is safe.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickster

They must use relays that are open until voltage is applied such that should the ignition be off or the power cut in the case of an accident, the relays would switch to open with the absence of voltage, thereby cutting off the high voltage from the battery system.
In an accident the ignition switch will most likely to remain in the on or jammed in the on position and therefore the relays will remain connected to the high voltage battery, which make this safety measure not very effective unless the driver remembers to turn off the ignition.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Battery Shut-off Switch

Honda has a very comprehensive guide (it's for the 03-05 Civic but it is the same system.)

If you are concerned print a copy and put it in the dash and trunk and doors or wherever makes sense

Here is the link:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...I/AXX28935.pdf

Old 05-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link Mickster.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Enthusiast

Mickster, the information from that link is great! It really is very comprehensive. I've printed off pages 13 & 14 and will keep them in the car. It's very important to know for both the driver and EMTs. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You get in a car accident in the HCH and the air bags goes off... guess what? The car will not start period, so the ignition is off at that point. Even if the car is driveable you need to have the system resest before the car will ever start.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

I cant get access to this link, Honda seems to have closed it, can someone send me a copy

Here is the link:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...I/AXX28935.pdf

Thanks

Quick Reply: Battery Shut-off Switch

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands