best hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default best hybrid?

I decided to post in this forum because it seemed to have the most people.

I have been looking into buying a hybrid. It will be my first car and im not sure whitch is the best.

I have been looking into the insite, prius, and the HCH. I have driven an insite (x-girlfriend's dad's) it was alot of fun but im not sure if I will need more space. I drove a single cab toyota tacoma and didnt have too many problems with space.. but there were times when it would of been nice.

So that leaves me with the prius and the HCH, with about the same price (msrp of ~$22k)

What is the better option and why do you think so.

thanks,
Derek

Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: best hybrid?

Oh, gosh you ARE in the Honda corner.
I chose Honda because it does not look like an insect.
I like the fit finish and feel of the Civic MUCH better than the Prius.
I like the Civic's dedicated ***** and buttons on the dash board.
The Prius has buttons on a screen that lead to other buttons on the screen that lead to other buttons on a screen that . . .

I liked paying $1000 UNDER MSRP and not having to wait.
The Civic's seats are more comfortable than the Prius's.
The visibility out the rear window of the Prius is terrible, with the air dam in the way- it is an accident waiting to happen.
I didn't like the steering or the ride on the Prius.

Go drive each of them.
They only thing I like about the Prius is the fold down rear seats.

Last edited by kenny; 01-08-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: best hybrid?

Originally Posted by mistyalcove

I have been looking into buying a hybrid. It will be my first car and im not sure whitch is the best.

I have been looking into the insite, prius, and the HCH. I have driven an insite (x-girlfriend's dad's) it was alot of fun but im not sure if I will need more space. I drove a single cab toyota tacoma and didnt have too many problems with space.. but there were times when it would of been nice.

So that leaves me with the prius and the HCH, with about the same price (msrp of ~$22k)

thanks,
Derek
Hi derek;

See if this is any help:

I had someone else on this Forum ask that question to me in a PM. Heres my Reply, I hope it helps in your decision:
tigerhonaker
G.H. Contributor

Hybrids: 06 HCH Coming;Jan.OR Feb.

Re: Question??????

Insight:
Very Small on the inside
Very Hard Door Panel where your Elbow/Arm Rest /Lays
Aluminum Body/ Very hard to get Repaired
No-Power/ Even less with CVT
Bare minimum storage
Hard to see out of
On Hwy. Noisey inside
Lousy Stereo
No-Cruise Control
No-Center Arm Rest
No Left Leg/Foot Support
No Real World Upgrades in Years: Period
It Gets Fuel Mileage at the expense of the above Listed Items:
Accord Hybrid:
Pluses;
Fast
Comfortable
Alot of Space inside and Trunk for Storage
With Nav. Option/ Ultra Modern High Tech.
X/M Satellite Radio/ Sound System: Great
Normal 5-Speed Auto Trans.
Auto-Climate Control
Minuses:
The Auto-Stop feature Will wear on your Nerves; in Stop and Go Traffic or Stop Light to Stop Light it will Stop Engine then Start right back up and Then Right back off and you get the idea I think. Back and Fourth, On and Off and So On.
In the City Or Heavy traffic it Uses (Alot-Of-Fuel) it is a Full Size 6-Cyclinder High Performance Engine and Therefore it consumes Fuel.
Many Post have been done about the FE (Fuel Ecomony) of the HAH and they are not (Good).
It does not seem like it is going to do well in holding it's Value like other Honda Hybrids because Honda has already done discounts on the 05 Model to get Rid of them on Dealer Lots. So If that is the case then it should be an indicator as to how it is going to stand up in the long run in holding its Value for the Customer.
Not an Inexpensive Vehicle.
If you wanted a Fast, Comfortable, Better FE than a standard Accord and do-not mind the Cost I guess this Hybrid would be a Go.
2006 HCH ll
PLUSES:
New Exterior Styling
New Interior
New Seats; Larger and more Support
New Sound Systems
New Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel
New Two-Tier Instrument Panel
New Interior Upgraded Fabrics and Materials
New Auto-Stop Feature, Works to keep you (Cool) in the Summer and (Hot-Warm) in Winter with ICE Not-Running at Stop Lights.
New for 2006 Much Upgraded CVT, More Torque & Wider Gear ranges for Increased Take-Offs and Cruising on Hwy.
New ICE, (Internal-Gas-Engine) more Power with Less Fuel being Burned.
New for 2006 Much Upgraded IMA (Internal- Motor-Assist) with More Power and Torque Capacity.
New for 2006 Smaller in size but Alot More Power, the Battery Pack
New for 2006 a much smaller Electronics Package to Control The IMA and ICE. With much more Processing Power. Think Computer:
New 15 Inch Aluminum Aero Wheels
New LRR (Low-Rolling-Resistance) Tires
New or I should say much Improved CD Rating to cut through the Wind.
Panel Fit and Finish for 06 is better.
New Under Body Panels to Decrease Drag
New for 2006 is Navagation
New for 2006 is (Dealer-Installed) X/M Satellite Radio.
New for 2006 is Available Two-Tone Blue Interior with Select Outside Colors.
New Regenerative Charging System for 2006 with much Improved Caoacity.
New Independent 4-Wheel Suspension.
HCH ll Is Very Quite Inside for 2006 as Compared to the Older Hybrid Models.
FE is now at 49 City and 50 Hwy. and from reading all different Mags. and owners on this Site it can get those Mileages and More if a Owner Applies Themselves. LIKE-YOU
Major Plus: Jan. 2006; Tax Credit of Somewhere around $2,000.00 or so. That is Dollar For Dollar Off Of Your Taxes When You File Your return.
New for 2006; Extended Warranty 3-36,000 on Vehicle and 5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty
New for 2006; Daytime Running Lights
New for 2006;Safety; Side Curtain Airbags, as well as airbags front for Driver and Passenger
New Improved Safety Cage

HTH

Terry

Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Boy talk about your loaded questions.

Many of the reasons I purchased my HCH are gone. I like the control you get from a manual and I liked the more normal look of the gen 1 HCH.

One big reason I liked the HCH was that at the time it was not a brand new model, it is good to get the bugs out. Now the situation is reversed with the Prius being the established model.

The new HCH is too much of an unknown for my taste so in spite of being a loving HCH owner I'd go with the Prius if I were buying now.

If you are more the chance taking type I'm sure the 06 HCH would be a fine choice.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 AM
G.H. Contributor

thanks,
Derek
Hey derek;

Just found this Thread on what owners had to brag or say about some of their HCH ll's:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...h-ll.5031.html

HTH

Terry

Old 01-08-2006, 12:47 AM
G.H. Contributor

thanks,
Derek
Hi derek;

Heres an interesting article:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...h+versus+prius

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...rticleId=108445 Try This One:

HTH

Terry

Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned
Default Best Match - Not Best Hybrid

I'm not entirely comfortable with the way this thread is going.

It would be helpful if the thread starter go into more detail about their driving needs. Everybody has different needs - what is a good fit for one may be a bad fit for another.

I really hate that phrase "Best Hybrid" - just yesterday we had an almost heated discussion on the merit/shortcomings of one hybrid model. It may have been unintentional, but "Best Hybrid" is almost flame-bait.

Please tell us more about the kind of driving, how much you room you need...

Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 AM
YA RLY.

The best hybrid is...

the one you enjoy driving the most.

Go out to some Honda and Toyota dealerships and start testdriving.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have driven 6 or more new HCH 04 and 05s for a dealer. I bought an 05 HCH CVT and have about 7500 miles on it.

Just had chance to drive a new Prius 06 for a little over 100 miles.
I have not had chance to drive a 06 HCH, but have driven many 06 regular Civics. The new Civics and head and shoulders better than the 05s back, so I presume that the 06 HCH will be better too.

First, I would never choose the Prius over my 05 HCH. The Prius is noisy both on road and engine noisy when accelerating. Do not like the boxey design. it looks cheap to me. Prius does get better mileage than my 05. That is about the only favorable thing over my car. Do like the electric creep mode at lights, but I think the new HCH has that. Prius needs a body redesign!

I have heard the 06 HCH is much better than my 05 HCH. If so then that makes it a much better car and deal than a Prius.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hands down HCH 2006

Quick Reply: best hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands