Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Originally Posted by Tim
I've taken the stance before that if all hybrid technology becomes is electronic turbo-chargers for SUVs and performance sedans we've missed the point.
Ain't that the truth! I am so disapointed that most of these car makers are taking the hybrid technology as an opportunity to add HP rather than make the vehicles more efficient. Sounds great that there are larger cars coming out with hybrids, but they don't get any better FE than their predecessors, they just have more power for the same MPG. Even the Jeep liberty made that mistake, sure diesels are great for FE, but not at 250 hp! Silly fools.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had to laugh when my cousing got a liberty diesel and found out what mileage he was getting.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by wundej
I had to laugh when my cousing got a liberty diesel and found out what mileage he was getting.
Yeah, what a total waste. Take a car like that, or better yet a Tacoma pickup, put a little diesel in it like they do EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD, and get 30 mpg. But NOOO we have to have the racecar SUV with a 250 horse guzzler in it. WTF?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by countrysHCH
Without oil will they be missed in say 100 years? Dam I wish I was going to be around to see 100 years from now. Alright off my soap box. Enjoy your Hybrids, but keep the Hybrid idea alive.

Actually no. They own more prime real estate in the U.S. and other parts of the world to be a presense for a long time. So while you think your dollars won't be going to them after there is no more oil... think again.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Energy Independence

Here, Here.

Tim, I think you are right on the mark.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Andre (the original poster): As you can see, people have varying opinions.

Many people, even the highest of the hypermilers, will tell you to go ahead and do what makes the car right for you.

Others will mock you and tell you "you just don't get it".

That's life I guess. My personal advice is to do whatever is important to you that suits your lifestyle best. Wheels, racks, bras, deely-bobbers on the antenna -- whatever meets your needs.

And be comfortable that you are still getting 20-40% better mileage than with a regular civic.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:51 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Livvie,
Years ago I had a Gremlin with a V-8. I was in college and moving alot - it helped to pull the U-Haul trailers. Your hybrid mod would be the ultimate "Sleeper Car". I guess my interests, goals, etc have changed. I'm really into the fuel savings, less pollution, and dependence on foreign oil. But hey - It's your life and your ride.
Enjoy,

Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 AM
aha
Active Enthusiast

Amen, brothers ! I'm with countrysHCH and Tim for this matter. I did full JDM specs for my Mitsu Galant VR-4, riced out gen 4th. Prelude, euro-ed my focus, lifted up my 2nd gen. 4Runner and such. Even my wife's CR-V and MPV got interior and wheels done at the very least. Even before my HCH arrived, I already order OEM fogs, hood cover, rear cup holder, OEM rubber mats
Modifying car is in my blood though I can't be as extreme as before when I lived in different states cause Cali emission is super strict and I tighten my self for this expensive hobby. Plus, I don't need my son to hear loud muffler and such. Wheels and tires are very basic and I was just a bit skeptical about the MPG, if it's that bad then I won't touch this car and a regular car completely for track purpose on weekend (been thinking about some old miata).

I appreciate everyone comments especially those who changed rims and notice slight difference/no difference.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Donald
Livvie,
Years ago I had a Gremlin with a V-8. I was in college and moving alot - it helped to pull the U-Haul trailers. Your hybrid mod would be the ultimate "Sleeper Car". I guess my interests, goals, etc have changed. I'm really into the fuel savings, less pollution, and dependence on foreign oil. But hey - It's your life and your ride.
Enjoy,
nice. a gremlin with a v-8. that i have to see.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ahh, buy a 06 civic hybrid and just slap some 20"s on it..

Quick Reply: Changing wheels - how bad MPG will be ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands