Comparing MPG to non-hybrid Civic 06-07

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Comparing MPG to non-hybrid Civic 06-07

Hi, is there anyone out there comparing MPG with a non-civic hybrid?
I have an 07 and i drive in Los Angeles and I'm wondering what mpg other regular civic drivers are getting.
I know it's hard to say since they don't have the handy MPG calculator, and most people don't actually do the math but i think it would be a great comparison, esp if the comparison were done on similar terrain.
In my case that is "fortress LA" style, where you have to fight to glide

I think all cars should have the mpg display; i think i've become a better, safer, slower driver (even though i sometimes miss my exit from looking at it too much). Right now I vacillate between 47-50mpg.

I recently inflated my tires to 38 psi -- my fam wouldn't let me go any higher!

My other ride just got converted to run on veggie oil, so i am really excited about that.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Comparing MPG to non-hybrid Civic 06-07

You can get some decent information at fueleconomy.gov.

2006 Honda Civic (31.2 mpg)

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (46.1 mpg)

The number there for the 2006 HCH is nearly identical to the number from the database here.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Comparing MPG to non-hybrid Civic 06-07

For two years and about 80k miles I have been doing the same commute with a friend. I have an 04 HCH, he has an 03 Civic non-hybrid, pretty much identically equipped. We do the same 80 mile drive (each way) trading off every day, using the same driving style and driving the same speed. We both pretty much set the cruise at 75 and it's a straight, flat light-traffic, all-freeway, high desert route (altitude ~ 5000').

I average lifetime 43 mpg, his tanks are usually in the 34-36 range, sometimes higher. So I figure that I average about 20% better than him for that drive in particular. I don't know how many people have such a direct comparison to go by, so I think this is pretty significant data. The only trouble is that it's all freeway so it doesn't give much indication about the comparison in city driving, but a direct comparison like this in city driving would be really hard to come by. So I just figure the hybrid does about 20% better than the regular one and that certainly holds true for 95% of my driving.