Do Gas Milage Hits Affect Non-Hybrid Equally?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do Gas Milage Hits Affect Non-Hybrid Equally?

Originally Posted by ElanC
That's not true. For the first mile or so after a cold start there is no regen and no assist. It may be less than a mile in warm temperatures and more in colder temperature. In essence, during the first few minutes the HCH runs exactly like a non-hybrid Civic. No advantage.

Well, except for the advantage of the tiny 1.3 liter.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
That's not true. For the first mile or so after a cold start there is no regen and no assist. It may be less than a mile in warm temperatures and more in colder temperature. In essence, during the first few minutes the HCH runs exactly like a non-hybrid Civic. No advantage.
I don't know about you but when I use my HCH from a cold start, yes I don't have any regen but I do have assist from the moment I start. Sure I cannot EV until the temp get to normal but I still get assist when I accelerate.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Even if my 03 HCH didn't have any hybrid assist, I'm still only using a 1.3 L engine as opposed to a 1.8 or a 2.0 (forget which is in the EX). On that fact alone a hybrid should do better. If anything, you may take a slightly highter % hit on the hybrid versus the EX, but I still think your overall FE will be higher in the hybrid.

I'd ask this question on the Prius forum. It's been mentioned before that short-trips favor the Prius.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 AM

I agree with what Tim said. I will add that if you are in it to save money that since you will not be doing a lot of driving it will take a long time to make up the difference in price. The hybrid does have some nifty gadgets and stuff like blinkers on the side mirrors and auto climate control, but its your call if you like the hybrid over the ex for reasons other than saving money.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As a EX owner I can share a bit on this. I do hypermile mine abit. I can have my EX up to the hi 30's to low 40 mpg area in say 3 to 5 miles from the house. This involves coasting with ICE off and such. But very doable. I dont own a HCHII and have only driven a preproduction unit. I dont know how the CVT would act with coasting or Ice off coasting.

I got 52 mpg on my scangauge for the drive in this morning at about 50 miles total drive. I doubt I will ever beable to get HCHII numbers out of my EX. But I didnt buy it for those numbers either.

psy

Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM

Who cares which car is 'impacted' more? Absolute mileage is what matters, and the HCH gets better mileage than a regular Civic, even over very short trips. Even without any motor assist at all, the HCH has a smaller and more efficient ICE, with the only drawback being much slower acceleration. But the motor takes very little time to start helping the engine, though regeneration takes a bit longer to activate.

Doing nothing but 5-10 minute trips, 2-3 per day, I'll average 36-38 mpg, and I'm not a very gentle or slow driver. I would get something in the mid-20's, at most, in an EX in those situations.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Who cares which car is 'impacted' more? Absolute mileage is what matters
The reason I care is that the hybrid costs more than the EX, so if the milage for short trips isn't much higher, the gas savings won't pay for the premium in the purchase price of the car.

On the other hand, I might go for the hybrid anyway because I like all the extra technology.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:24 PM

dalemccl

No matter which Civic you end up with,,, it will be a thrifty, fun car to own. If HCHII would have had a 5MT option and rear disk brakes I would have bought one. If Si wasnt selling for MSRP and above I would have bought one. So that left a sweet deal on a EX Sedan. That I took. Now if they would just drop the HAH and replace it with a Si Sedan hybrid >>>> Heaven!!!

And the car in our day and time that would be a class winner a HX in LX trim Sedan or Coupe.

O well

Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalemccl
The reason I care is that the hybrid costs more than the EX, so if the milage for short trips isn't much higher, the gas savings won't pay for the premium in the purchase price of the car.

On the other hand, I might go for the hybrid anyway because I like all the extra technology.
Then again, no other car option has the ability to pay you back at all, so you might consider the hybrid the only upgrade worth considering from a financial standpoint. :-)

Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop
Then again, no other car option has the ability to pay you back at all, so you might consider the hybrid the only upgrade worth considering from a financial standpoint. :-)
That is very well stated indeed.

Quick Reply: Do Gas Milage Hits Affect Non-Hybrid Equally?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands