I prefer the Civic. I know it is not a hatchback, but is there an
opening from the trunk to the rear seat you can put long items
through? And/or has anyone else fit a bicycle into the truck
without too much trouble?

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: do rear seats fold down?

The rear seat on the Honda Civic Hybrid of ANY year does not fold down.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Proud owner HCHII

In a word no. The battery pack fits across from one side to the other and reduces the normal trunk. In other posts people have talked about taking the wheels off their bikes to put them in the foot well of the rear seats, or putting them on a roof rack or,a rear mounting. Essentially the HCHII is a sedan and not as useful for large dog owners or bikers.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Get the EX. It has a fold down rear seat.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:52 PM

I have successfully stored TWO road bikes in my HCHII trunk! You have to remove the wheels, and on one I had to take off the saddle, but it works! You'll have to take out the spare tire cover to fit both in there (the tire can stay, and you'll need to reposition the jack / tools). Sort of a pain, but if you need to transport for long distances, it's great. We're going on a 1,000 mi trip up to Seattle in July and needed a way to transport the bikes up there. I use my SUV for more local bike transportation (much easier!).

Last edited by Anahymbrid; 05-11-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the wonderful responses and HONESTY.

Azahymbrid (think I spelt that wrong) thanks for the awesome photos!
Am really looking for something easier to use. So the EX is a possibility.
Or an ugly Prius. Or wait a year or two & see what comes out. Test rode
a Honda Fit and two bikes with front wheels & seats off can fit upright in the cargo area! Someday they may make a hybrid Fit. Or an Element, wouldn't that be neat? I am trying to figure out why the plain Civic gets 40 mpg highway & the Fit only 38. The Civic is a nicer car.

Anyway, thanks again each of you for the great responses. This forum is
great!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crystal
Thanks for the wonderful responses and HONESTY.

Azahymbrid (think I spelt that wrong) thanks for the awesome photos!
The name is derived from the town "Anaheim" + "Hybrid", or "Anahymbrid".

Am really looking for something easier to use. So the EX is a possibility.
Or an ugly Prius. Or wait a year or two & see what comes out. Test rode
a Honda Fit and two bikes with front wheels & seats off can fit upright in the cargo area! Someday they may make a hybrid Fit.
Honda has specifically stated that they intend to make a Hybrid Fit sometime in the next couple years. I believe what they're aiming for is not so much a dramatically improved hybrid system, as one that is similar to what they have but a lot cheaper-- I believe someone posted a statement of theirs that said the price difference to go hybrid should be halved in their next generation system.

Or an Element, wouldn't that be neat? I am trying to figure out why the plain Civic gets 40 mpg highway & the Fit only 38. The Civic is a nicer car.
I believe they actually intentioanlly sabotaged the Fit by making the overdrive gear lower than it could be, I believe just for marketing reasons, so it would "feel" a bit peppier in top gear. I actually believe it was so they woudln't cut into Civic sales as much. That means there's a bit of power in reserve in top gear, so it should be possible to install slightly larger tires and get a mileage benefit when the OEM ones wear out.

Honda did the same thing on the Manual Transmission Civic which only gets 38, compared to 40 for the Auto. The manual could probably get 41mpg with the same gear ratios as the Auto.

Last edited by Double-Trinity; 05-11-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, the Civic is 140hp, the Fit is 109hp. The Civic is only about 200 pounds heavier. I'd guess that the Fit needs that lower gearing to still achieve halfway-decent performance.

I have to wonder why the Fit is LEV2 while the Civic is ULEV2. It seems odd that Honda would be releasing anything that "dirty" these days.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default The Fit,fits 2 bikes-that is why no 40 mpg-too tall.

The Fit is a great little vehicle. It is lighter than the Civic-2500 vs 2800 so it gets slightly better city mpg.However, as you noticed, that little baby can carry some tall stuff! The extra height is why is doesn't match the Civic in hy mpg. It has more drag-simple as that. Taller tires will drop the RPMS, but they will slightly raise the ride height and slightly increase the drag.
The Fit gave the Prius a run for the my $$ against the Prius. The $3150 tax credit , and the extra 10" behind the front seats decided it for me, but the Fit is a very good vehicle. I would choose it over a Civic because I have dogs,cats, bikes and I'm kinda old and don't really like to bend so much to get in and out of vehicles.
Hard to be the Fit or the Civic.Luck,Charlie
PS The weird spaceship styling of the Prius grows on you. It is a very functional car. If it was a bit cheaper(about $2000 cheaper) it would be even more appealing. I would never have bought it if it weren't for the $3150.It was $26000 OTD the Fit Sport auto would have been $18000 OTD(we have high-8.75% sales tax). It isn't $8000 better than the Fit-maybe $6000, but not $8000.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

My business dictates i needed a rear folding seat, after doing research the prius was my only choice. No offence to the honda owners but i love the choice i made. good luck in your decision. Dean