Do you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Texashchman:

___Since 0W-20 Mobil1 synthetic is available at most Walmart’s near me, why not ask your local stores automotive guy/gal to stock it for you? I have to tell my local Walmart’s automobile area employees to order it any time the stock is getting low and sure enough, about a week later, it’s back on the shelves with 7 - 10 quarts awaiting purchase. I don’t know where you are picking up your Mobil1 filters from but AutoZone near me stocks the Bosch and Mobil1’s for $6.49 and $10.99 respectively. Since AutoZone is a nationwide chain, hopefully they have one near you as well?

___Or the next time you are on vacation, visit the local Walmart in that locale. If they have 20 quarts of Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic and the SuperTech filters to fit the HCH, buy them all up

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-16-2004, 01:14 PM

I'm changing my oil tomorrow on my new "used" 2004 HCH that I just bought and I am using Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30. The car has just about 5,000 miles on it now.

Have used that oil in my last five cars prior to this Civic, and have had great results, see no reason to change now.

In fact, on my 1997 Suburban, I got about 2 mpg increase after changing to Amsoil synthetic oil.

Will let you know if the Civic sees an improvement....'

Later Amigos..............

Old 07-16-2004, 01:38 PM

Hi Lars-ss:

___Might I interest you in a small bit of data for the possibility of even higher fuel economy just in case?

Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.4
Mobil1 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 43

Amsoil 0W-30 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 11.2
Amsoil 0W-30 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 56.9

___Lower cSt’s mean lower kinematic viscosity at the temperature tested which should provide higher fuel economy across the band of operating temperatures …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the datum.

I changed the oil Saturday morning, and since the change, after driving about 100 miles with more than half of that "highway driving" at 65 mph (not much of a test) my mileage on this tank has gone up from 36.7 to 37.4, a modest gain but a gain nonetheless. Could have very little to do with the oil and more to do with the hwy miles, and with such a small amount of miles there is no definitive indication that the oil had ANYTHING to do with it.

I will know more later this week after I drive five days of city driving with the A/C blasting. If it remains higher than 36.7 I think I can assume the oil has improved the mileage, since the driving pattern, temps, etc, will not have changed from last week.

In regard to Mobil 1 versus Amsoil: After using Amsoil since 1997, I did an evaluation of Mobil 1 versus Amsoil about a year ago, taking ALL data I could find into account, including enough info and data to choke the Library of Congress, and my investigation showed Amsoil to be the superior product. I don't want to get into a debate, because my data convinced me.

"To each their own" I say, after learning that people don't appreciate having Amsoil shoved onto them. As long as it does the job for me and my cars, I'm happy !!!

Thanks again for the info though......

Old 07-19-2004, 08:10 AM

Hi Lars-ss:

___To each his own given is a good point given battling ones oil and filter choices can become almost as heated as religion and politics

___Isn’t Amsoil’s 5W-30 synthetic product(s) still using Mobil1’s Group IV 5W-30 base stock? I haven’t read much on Amsoil’s new 0W-30 products however. I am sure it is another fantastic Amsoil oil product none the less. Maybe I need to spend some more time over at BITOG?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-19-2004, 09:53 AM

I have never heard of Amsoil using any other company's base stock - they are so "proud" of what they make and have that corporate "superiority complex."

I will see what I can find out about that and post my findings.......

Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 AM

This from an AMSOIL site:

"There are five goups of base stocks...AMSOIL Synthetic Oil base stock is Group IV Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) with a small amount of Group V ester to help control seal swell. The majority of AMSOIL synthetic lubricants are formulated with polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks, which offer unsurpassed protection and performance and are widely recognized as the industry's premier base stock technology. Unlike conventional base stocks PAO base stocks contain fully saturated, hydrogenated molecules that are free of wax and impurities, allowing superior performance in temperature extremes, oxidation and acid resistance and clean operation."

Found out that Mobil 1 also uses Group IV base stock. I think the differences come in with the additives that the companies put with the base stocks.

I cannot as of yet find any indication that Amsoil uses anything Mobil....Still looking though........

Old 07-20-2004, 08:58 AM

OK, as for clarification on Amsoil's use of "Mobil base stocks", here is a reply I got from a high level Amsoil Dealer yesterday:

"AMSOIL does not nor has never used any Mobil or Mobil1 base stock. AMSOIL
does use PAO (PolyAlphaOlephin) technology as does Mobil in building the
base stock. AMSOIL uses a proprietory blend of several different PAOs plus
other technologies as does Mobil in their own, but they are different. AMSOIL does purchase unfinished PAOs from Mobil-Exxon Chemical division, but
these are unfinished, unblended 'pieces-parts.' To be a base stock for a
specific viscosity you must blend multiple PAOs and other technologies -
this AMSOIL does in house. AMSOIL and Mobil1 are both Group IV synthetics (Castrol Syntec is not, they are Group III). All of AMSOIL's blending, finishing and packaging is done ONLY by AMSOIL, Inc. in Superior, WI. I have talked with the Lubricant Engineers and Technical Departments about this a number of times.
I do not know where you got your information, but it is in error - whoever told you was misinformed."

So I guess that settles that.

Thanks !!

Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Hi Lars-ss:
AMSOIL does purchase unfinished PAOs from Mobil-Exxon Chemical division
___I knew I had read that there was a link and I believe that is where Mobil1 gets their unfinished product from.

___Another point I have read somewhere. One of the viscosity’s of Amsoil being sold as Synthetic is actually Group III (ala Castrol Syntec) and not Group IV PAO’s. Again, this is older information but one you might be able to track down far faster then I can.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by lars-ss@Jul 19th 2004 @ 10:03 AM

I changed the oil Saturday morning, and since the change, after driving about 100 miles with more than half of that "highway driving" at 65 mph (not much of a test) my mileage on this tank has gone up from 36.7 to 37.4, a modest gain but a gain nonetheless. Could have very little to do with the oil and more to do with the hwy miles, and with such a small amount of miles there is no definitive indication that the oil had ANYTHING to do with it.

I will know more later this week after I drive five days of city driving with the A/C blasting. If it remains higher than 36.7 I think I can assume the oil has improved the mileage, since the driving pattern, temps, etc, will not have changed from last week.
OIL CHANGE MPG Update:

MPG has moved up to **37.8** as of this morning, with nothing different about my commute yesterday afternoon and this morning, no weather change, no extra miles, etc. Could be that maybe the Amsoil is showing up in mpg . . . will know for sure by Friday . . .will keep posting....

Laters.........

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands