Does Auto Stop ever...stop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Does Auto Stop ever...stop?

I just got my 05 Civic Hybrid 5-speed less than 2 wks ago....I have yet to see the autostop come one. Sometimes I think (don't hear/feel) the engine turns off but no autostop light. I ALWAYS have the economy button on. Any ideas???? I have tried being both in gear (with clutch in) and in neutral....

Old 09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned
Default If You Have Had Engine Work

My Insight is in the shop for it's 90,000-mile maintence. Turns out my Autostop was disabled from faulty rewiring on repairs two years ago, yet was OK until this Spring!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: If You Have Had Engine Work

It is brand new...so no engine work....

Old 09-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does Auto Stop ever...stop?

I use S all the time, when I am about to slow down, instead of hitting the brakes, I shift to S and get a nice recharge.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Does Auto Stop ever...stop?

Well...my autostop worked for the first time the other day. I was so excited. I don't think my carpool was as excited though! It sort of freaked them out =) BUT I was wondering if the CVT autostop turns on more frequently than the manuals? It seems to me from reading these posts that even at stop signs it goes off for some people and at pretty much any light? Mine only stops at LONG lights...any ideas?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Mine in my CVT will only rarely not stop at stop lights (ususaly after long coasting where I get below 10mph and I am forced to accelerate a little but still stay below 10mph. Of course the winter it rarely comes on at all.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

When the AC is OFF and my foot is on the brake pedal and the car is stopped, my car goes to Auto-Stop almost every time. When both the AC and Econ are both ON, it sometimes goes to Auto-Stop. I'm amazed by how quietly the car restarts when you let go of the brake pedal.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Austi...do you have a manual or CVT? I have tried it both with the Econ on....and off and it seems to act the same. The autostop hardly EVER comes on (even if my battery is almost fully charged). I haven't turned the AC on the past 2 days at all since it has gotten cooler. Still the autostop only turns on at very long stops.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

From the service manual here is a list of things which prevent the Auto Idle Stop from functioning in a M/T model.
  • When the transmission is in 1st gear or reverse gear.<<
  • When the climate control unit prohibits the engine from stopping.<<
  • When the engine coolant temperature is low.<<
  • For about 2 minutes after starting the engine.<<
  • When the battery state of charge is low.<<
  • When the battery module temperature is low.<<
  • When the electric load on the 12 V system is high.<<
  • When the accelerator pedel is pressed.<<
  • When the brake vacuum is low.<<
  • When a fault is detected in a related sytem.<<
The engine should stop under the following conditions if all of the above are satisfied.
  • When the clutch pedel is pressed with the vehicle speed at 19 mph or less, and the engine speed is at 1,000 rpm or less during deceleration while pressing the brake pedal.<<
  • When the clutch pedal is pressed with the vehicle at a stop and in neutral, or when the shift position switch is in neutral with the clutch pedal pressed.<<
If it is not functioning properly you could have a vacuum leak or a faulty sensor.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NOTU; 09-11-2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling