Does this happen to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does this happen to you?

At work when we talk about our cars and the mpg's that they achieve, I constantly get a "shut up" look. Just curous if anyone gets the same thing.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: Does this happen to you?

Around here (CT) nobody talks about mpg's. We talk about how fast or how much it can haul then mention how it eats gas

I don't mention what I can get mpg wise. The normal response is along the lines of what doesn't fit in a hybrid.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's truly horrible. Keep fighting the tough fight.

Every six months or so I send out an email to the office with the cost and availablilty of new and used hybrids in the area and offer to answer any questions about hybrids in general.

Many think they are out of reach or just don't understand them. I get labelled the treehugger of the office, but I wear it with pride. I try not to preach too much, but am available for Q&A.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 AM

Yes. That happens to me at work.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sometimes I get a "hater" remark, or I will get a "must be nice" comment. Most of the time I get a comment saying, "hybrids are expensive".

I love the hybrid and have no problem paying more monthly for a vehicle that will save me money in the long run. Everybody is for the here and now idea though, so they will never grasp the concept.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Black Ice
Most of the time I get a comment saying, "hybrids are expensive".
I've gotten that a bunch too. I get the "shut up" look a lot more though. That being said, every once in a while, I actually talk to someone who is actually impressed and want to learn more so I have faith that people will slowly turn around. They'll start turning a whole lot faster when gas hits $4/g this summer though .

Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM
dcf
Enthusiast

I get that a lot at home

Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM

I constantly get a "shut up" look. Just curous if anyone gets the same thing.
They not only give me a look- but to actually say "Shut up"

For courtesy, I don't talk about it much anymore unless someone else brings it up.

-Steve

Old 01-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Move to Toronto: We're enlightened. Ignorance is unwelcome here. I think this unassuming attitude stems from being a multi-racial and diverse city.

I don't have to tell anyone about the hybrid; They ask me when they find out I got one, because they're curious.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's the typical conversation with a luddite:

"Hybrids are expensive."

Yes, compared to the Hyundai Accent, they are. Do you drive a Hyundai Accent?

"Heck no! I drive a (insert generic $30,000 sedan/SUV here)."

Well, then, my $21,000 Civic Hybrid is actually inexpensive, isn't it?

"Sure, if you want an econobox with no creature comforts! Does it even have air conditioning?"

Yes, with auto climate control.

"Okay, but I have power windows, and a six-speaker stereo, and GPS."

So do I.

"But you don't get side curtain airbags on a hybrid."

Sure I do.

"How about power folding rear seats and an auto-dimming rear view mirror?"

No, the Civic doesn't have those.

"See! I told you hybrids suck! Plus they don't get the mpg they claim to!"

My lifetime average is just under 47 mpg.

"Yeah, right .... like you don't inflate your mpg claims just to impress people."

Actually, it's what my car's computer calculates. It displays mpg to the tenth of a mile right on the dashboard readout.

"Oh, you can't trust those things. They're notoriously inaccurate. I do all my calculations by hand and list them on a custom spreadsheet program. It shows that my (generic $30,000 sedan/SUV) gets 30 mpg."

Really? That's funny, because the EPA says that car only gets 17/22 mpg.

"What do they know? I really did get 30 mpg ..... once ..... on a highway trip with a strong tailwind. So, see, it is possible!"

Certainly. I once got 60 mpg on a highway trip. But I give the honest average of 47.

"Whatever .... I'm just saying that hybrids aren't as great as everyone says. Plus, they never pay back the extra cost with the gas savings."

Sure they do. The Civic Hybrid cost me $3,000 more than the identical standard Civic. It came with a $2,100 income tax credit, and it saves me $60/month in gasoline. Payback period is less than two years.

"Well, that's all theory. If you would have put that $21,000 into this high-risk mutual fund paying 40%, it would have made all your car payments, plus left you with a bunch of cash!"

Really? Is that what you did?

"Me? Uh, no, I don't have any money in that fund. I just read about it yesterday on the internet."

Oh, too bad. Well, did you pay cash for your (generic $30,000 sedan/SUV)?

"Heck no! I took the cheap 3.9999% financing so I could let my money work for ME!"

Yeah, I did the same. I put ZERO down, took Honda's 2.9% financing, and left the $21,000 in my money market account at 4.1%. So, Honda's paying ME 1.2% just to drive their car. It's great!

"Uh, yeah ..... whatever. I just hope that hybrid doesn't leave you stranded somewhere when the battery finally fails."

No worry there. The Civic Hybrid will run with or without the battery. Anyway, Honda and Toyota have been selling hybrids for a decade now. The 'battery-failure' scare never came true. That's why you get an 8-10 year warranty on the batteries.

"Well, I'm just saying that hybrids aren't going to solve all the world's energy problems."

True. They're just a step in the right direction. In fact, Honda knows this, and is about to release a new hydrogen fuel cell vehicle this summer. Zero gasoline, zero emmissions.

"Oh! Don't get me started on those kooky things! First of all, they'll never work. Second, they explode in an accident. Third .................."

And so it goes. Eventually, you realize that engaging in such conversations is like trying to teach a chimpanzee to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the chimp.

Forget the primates, and keep on truckin'!

Last edited by 1stpik; 01-11-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Does this happen to you?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands