electric whir sound around 20mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default electric whir sound around 20mph?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I know it's not the electric motor assisting the gas engine or anything. This is the only/best way I know how to describe it, in that it sounds really close to the sound my fuel injected Suzuki SV650 motorcycle makes when I flip the engine cut-off switch into it's on position (with the ignition turned on ofcourse).

I THINK it happens around 20mph? I usually don't hear it expect when I'm driving real slow on quiet residential streets. It's not annoying but I'm very curious as to what it might be.

On an unrelated topic, anyone have a good suggesting on where to find OEM all season floormats online for cheap? Thanx.

Last edited by enp83; 03-11-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: electric whir sound around 20mph?

Originally Posted by enp83
Anyone know what I'm talking about? I know it's not the electric motor assisting the gas engine or anything.
I think it is the electric motor.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

it happens when you slow down until you loose the last "impulse propulsion". I have no idea what it is.... maybe is something with the regen....

Old 03-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Let me guess ... you have a pre2006? It is either the regen or the electric motor. My 2006 you hardly hear any of the electical components when driving. However, our 2005 you hear that stuff all the time. I liked it and kind of miss it. It made me think I was driving something from the future.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

MY HCH is an '06, I'll have to pay more attention to see when exactly (whether ev mode/gliding/assisting or no assist) but it seems like I can only hear it for about a couple of seconds right around 20mph. I don't ever hear it around 10mph or 30mph ect. It sounds like something is either switching over, turning on or turning off. I really don't think it's just the electric motor because I only notice it around 20mph and it only makes that sound for a couple of seconds. I don't hear it when I'm in true EV mode cruising at 20-30mph.

Again, it's not annoying or anything I'm just curious as to what its doing when it makes that sound.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by enp83
On an unrelated topic, anyone have a good suggesting on where to find OEM all season floormats online for cheap? Thanx.
Try this thread...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ght=floor+mats

Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Let me know if you get update on this as my '06 i recently purchased does the same thing..it sounds like a servo motor to me

Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have heard that whirring sound in my 06, but its when I slow down or am coming to a full stop....

Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

A servo motor is a good description of it's sound I guess. I'm surprised nobody has a good answer yet, I'm really curious.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

a servo... for what?

Quick Reply: electric whir sound around 20mph?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands