Engine Oiler System

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Engine Oiler System

I was wondering how the engine oiling system worked on the Civics and also the Prius'. My question is that both engines shut off when not needed and then automatically start up again. If a majority of engine wear occurs during start-up, how does that affect the hybrid engines? The only way I see to avoid the lack of oil flow during start up is if there is an electric oil pump supplying the engine. If it's a standard mechanical driven pump, then I'm concerned about pre-mature engine wear due to lack of lubrication. Even if synthetic oil is used, I don't think it provides the same, or enough protection to prevent engine wear. If anyone can enlighten me on the engine oiling systems I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Oiler System

The engine tolerances in Honda's 1.3L hybrid engine are very fine. Because of this, when the engine is off, the oil is held in suspension between the piston and cylinder walls.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast

your correct about most wear at start up due to lack of oil.

but thats assuming the car sits long enough to drain all of the oil out of the oil jetting system and solenoids and cam journals and crank bearing journals. i dont know how long you sit in auto stop but i would guess that it would take about an hour to drain all the oil in the motor and oiling system back to the pan

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Energy Independence

Cold start-up, yes - no oil in the moving parts IS a cause of long-term wear.
Warm start-up, not an issue - as oil is still mostly in-place, lubricating the moving parts (as bullet4 said).