EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
G.H. Contributor
Default Re: EV (electric-only) mode finally spotted in 06 HCH!

Originally Posted by byebyegaspumps
I am new here, and have a week old Honda Civic Hybrid, but I found this very interesting reading for how to drive the Civic. It covers many things that happen as you accelerate in the Civic.

Check it out...

http:/www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

This Link: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

It is a very Interesting Thread. I also own a 2006 HCH II. Love it.

Terry (tiger)

Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rrunyan
This statement is clearly incorrect. It is IMPOSSIBLE to increase speed on electric only unless going downhill. It is IMPOSSIBLE to move from a stop without the ICE turning on, again unless going downhill.

I can, however, drive thru the parking lot at the train station on electric only at about 12mph.

Honda needs to fix their website.

Ron in SoCal
Actually the ev only mode can accelerate the car (now it can't do it from 0mph but it can do it if you have some forward momentum). I can tell you because I routinely do it. My home is in a track with all level roads. I start out coming into my track at approximately 11mph when I kick the car into 'ev' mode. When I reach my house I'm doing approximately 19-20mph(I think the highest I've ever gotten was 21) with 4 - 5 bars of assist the whole way.

I would agree however that it is impossible to move from a stop without the ICE turning on.

just my .02
Jayson

Old 09-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, I'd be curious to know the factual basis of rrunyan's statement about the electric engine not accellerating. If it's because you believe it's physically impossible for electric engines, not only is it, numerous examples exist - any remote control toy car certainly, but most relevantly the Prius can roll around under 30mph - and often does - without using a drop of gas, all electric. I've driven a lot of Priuses (via Zipcar) and you can certainly move a vehicle this heavy on electric alone. The recent demo Tesla car does it up to 160mph.

The one thing I'm finding very disagreeable about the Civic Hybrid (and I hate to find anything disagreeable with such a great car) is the challenge of getting to the electric mode. Maybe the Prius has spoiled me, but I don't like the engine starting when I turn the key, nor when I release the brake... the flashing "Auto Stop" light combined make me feel like this car is meant to train you for the Prius so you're not scared by the lack of engine noise. I've read an electric motor is most efficient under high torque... in other words, starting from stop, rather than cruising. That's been Tesla's challenge, and that's what the Prius makes the most of, because gas engines kinda suck at that. But the Civics I've rented are hard to coax into an electric-only low-speed mode, and in stop and go traffic they have a habit of starting the gas when I release the brake, staying on while I idle ahead and brake, but then running still while I'm stopped! That's no good.

Eh I'm spoiled.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I consider myself fairly experienced in obtaining and holding EV mode in the HCHII. If I had a passenger who wanted to see it I could invoke EV mode quite easily. I use it daily, usually when there is nobody behind me and my SOC is decent, and I am on (relatively) flat or downhill grade. I can honestly say that I have not been able to accelerate in EV mode. Not that it is definitely impossible, just not very easy or practical in the HCHII.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So, how do you do it?

Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
So, how do you do it?
I'm not sure if you are asking how to accelerate in EV, or simply how to engage EV mode.

As far as accelerating in EV, I have never experienced it. As a matter of fact, I tried it several times since reading this post and have had no luck; the vehicle simply drops out of EV mode and reverts to ICE propulsion when I attempt even the mildest increase in throttle (over the 4 bars in EV).

As far as how to enter into EV mode I am sure it is described in the 18 pages of this thread, but here is my take on it:
The vehicle must be travelling under 50MPH on relatively flat (or downgrade) land. The SOC should be at least 4 or 5 bars.
To engage EV: release the throttle completely. The instant MPG display should max out (100+MPG). VERY gently reapply throttle. The Tach should stay where it is at (~11-1200RPM) and the assist should kick in somewhere between 1 & 4 bars.

Usually this can be held for as long as 1/4mile, sometimes more. Using it excessively will drop the SOC quite quickly. It's really cool to think I am travelling along using virtually no fuel...

Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I did it today for about 30 seconds. Small victory!

Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

The only time I ever get into 'AutoStop' mode is when driving in Traffice on the 91fwy.

Once I get to 6 miles per hour(while braking) the engine turns off and I'm able to go quite some distance with 'AutoStop' but once you excelerate the feature turns off and engine resumes.

PPD

Old 10-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EZ2beGreen
The vehicle must be travelling under 50MPH on relatively flat (or downgrade) land.

It's really cool to think I am travelling along using virtually no fuel...
Actually, EV mode will engage at any speed, but at highway speeds, you've got to be going downhill or slowing down. Also, you really aren't using any fuel at that point.....very fun.

It also naturally engages any time you slow down. When you hit the brake, and your MPG pegs, the ICE is off (provided the car is warm...notice that slowing down at 25mph with a cold engine will not peg your mpg meter).