Excellent advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Excellent advice!

I have had my new opal silver blue HCH for about 2 weeks. My first tank of gas I averaged about 41 mpg. On my second I was driving a little easier and would probably be 43 or 44 mpg. Then I started to read what a few others have done to increase mileage. Tire pressure it seems is very important. I have the Dunlops and when I checked them yesterday they were set at about 30 psi, one was 28. So following the example of others in here I pumped them up to 50.5 psi. WOW! What a difference. I also tried leaving the AC off and just using fresh air venting. I live in Louisiana so I don't know if I can go without AC in the hot summer months but the HCH does have excellent venting. So, last evening I had to take a little trip of about 30 miles. My MPG sky-rocketed to around 56 mpg. I think I can get it closer to 58 maybe even 60. On the way home I decided I would try the AC and my average was 48. This figure would probably be closer to 50 mpg but for a few miles I had my CVT in S. I cannot believe what a diiference the tire pressure has made with the mileage and I find the car handles and drives even better. I loved my HCH with 41 mpg, but with the possibility of my mpg getting into the mid-fifties I really love this car. Thank you Honda and thanks to all here.
Wade

Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Excellent advice!

As you learn more techniques and learn your car, your MPG will only increase more. My first tank was 38.4 MPG, then it increased up to an average of 48.1 since then - I have a very short commute or my numbers would be much higher. Learn and keep more money in your wallet !!!

Old 08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
World's First Hybrid

Excellent.. I too have the same car with CVT and ever since I pumped the tires up to 40psi I've been averaging 53mpg on the latest tank. I am also going to try mobil 1 oil next time around to see if it gives me a little more mpg. So far this car has been the most fun to drive. Been driving with the AC off and it has been in the 90's here in Boston but the car has good ventilation so I reserve the AC for when the "queen" rides along. Like the hypermilers say, just drive the car like it has no brakes and the mpg will go up.

Ralph

Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congrats Wade, it really is exciting to realize changing just a few things can really save you some money and cut back on some pollution. Warning though...it can only lead to an obsession from here

Old 08-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattiesettlement
I live in Louisiana so I don't know if I can go without AC in the hot summer months but the HCH does have excellent venting.
I'm in Texas and I've found that if I set the AC to recycle mode (where it keeps circulating the air inside the car) it helps keep the car significantly cooler when I'm at a stop light in Econ mode. This helps me get the benefit of Econ, without boiling when I have to stop at a light.