FAS performed for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FAS performed for the first time

Hi Lakedude:

___I couldn’t have said it better myself …

___Livvie, just a quick test for you … The next time you leave your drive, leave with a freshly reset Trip A or B. Drive to the first stop sign or just park in front of your house and leave your ICE running. Let’s say you achieved 24 mpg from the time you started her up to the time you stopped in front of your house. Now let it sit at idle and watch that 24 mpg bleed away to an even worse average as the seconds tick by … It gets even uglier pretty darn fast

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tbaleno, I hope you don't mind but I'm taking the liberty to hype your video site:

http://hybrid.wrathof.com

For those with remaining Qs or concerns about a FAS - top of the page contains a 30-minute video of Lakedude on a night commute to his work. Empty streets, easy conditions. With the camera angled straight in for a clear shot at his HCH's displays, we watch and listen as he takes us through about 15 or 20 FASs. Quick, painless, simple, and viable much more often than you may think when first hearing about the technique. You get a feel for exactly how the car coasts and what your displays should all look like during the reboot and regen processes. I just watched it for the first time tonight, but wish I'd seen it before I started playing with FAS about 2 weeks ago. Would have put me much more at ease knowing how simple it really is.

Thanks those of you who took so much time to create these tutorials, and thanks Tbaleno for hosting!

Old 09-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Lakedude:

___I couldn’t have said it better myself …

___Livvie, just a quick test for you … The next time you leave your drive, leave with a freshly reset Trip A or B. Drive to the first stop sign or just park in front of your house and leave your ICE running. Let’s say you achieved 24 mpg from the time you started her up to the time you stopped in front of your house. Now let it sit at idle and watch that 24 mpg bleed away to an even worse average as the seconds tick by … It gets even uglier pretty darn fast

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
I see what you are implying but in your scenario all idle time (my shift to neutral) is done at a stand still (averaging in 0mpg over any given time, is real bad)... in my scenario idle is done while moving (the mpg during this time period will be high if not pegged at max on trip computer).

So FAS minus the complete stopping of the engine. I think this is easier to do for most people and as the last person on the braking thread attest, it's not as easy to do and the conditions for an FAS have to be ideal. So you can also do this in P&G (without shutting off engine). I'm sure both methods minus the complete shut off of engine will net you an overall increase in MPG without the "complexity." Yes, the overall net will not be as much as a true FAS but it should be up there.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by lakedude
What you are saying does work and is a great option if you are not comfortable with FAS.

ABS does work during a FAS. Guess how I know that!

Power brakes work, but only for so long. You do gotta be careful here. The brakes do take quite a bit of effort to work manually once the power assist wears off.

Power steering cuts off for just a couple seconds but it comes back since it is electric.

A FAS uses less gas (none) than coasting in neutral which is why some of us extream hypermilers use it. It is a bit dangerous so please be careful it you do decide to use it.

It is not a good idea to (IMO) to FAS in heavy traffic.
hehe... yeup. didn't see your post.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Hi Livvie:

___You got it! It doesn’t matter if you are traveling at 60 mph or 0 mph. An idling ICE is consuming the same amount of fuel. If you ever have the opportunity to perform a longwinded FAS from 60 to 0 as an example, you will come to realize that you had one of those rare Ureka moments (I mean minute upon minute ) that only come about every once in a while. When they do, what a great feeling!

___There is an off-ramp near my home that sometimes, everything just clicks. If I can hit that thing at 52 mph or higher with no traffic up ahead in a FAS, I can go up and around the off-ramp, back over the overpass, down the other side, a long coast into a light to make a right into a mall and then catch the next light (red or not it really doesn’t matter) and voila! Maybe once every week to week and a half does it all come together but when it does, I am all smiles

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 09-10-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Over the last two weeks Ive started FAS. I have enough upper body strenght to turn the Accord and the Ranger on a dime with no power steering and both of the autos hold vacume real well so brakes stay good. FAS to a traffic light when timed right is nice. Coast up ICE off, wait out the light then restart. FAS raised the milage on the Accord 5 mpg on the last tank. I only use it for long coasts of 1/2 mile or more. Its real nice on a 1.5 to 2 miles coast. My fav. is coasting up hill with ICE off! The best load driving you can do. LMAO

Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Livvie:

___You got it! It doesn’t matter if you are traveling at 60 mph or 0 mph. An idling ICE is consuming the same amount of fuel. If you ever have the opportunity to perform a longwinded FAS from 60 to 0 as an example, you will come to realize that you had one of those rare Ureka moments (I mean minute upon minute ) that only come about every once in a while. When they do, what a great feeling!

___There is an off-ramp near my home that sometimes, everything just clicks. If I can hit that thing at 52 mph or higher with no traffic up ahead in a FAS, I can go up and around the off-ramp, back over the overpass, down the other side, a long coast into a light to make a right into a mall and then catch the next light (red or not it really doesn’t matter) and voila! Maybe once every week to week and a half does it all come together but when it does, I am all smiles

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
Hi Wayne,

That offramp that you mention, can you try doing your FAS by just going into neutral as described above and see what the mpg is for that time period. I just wanted to see the difference between a full FAS vs, engine running but car in neutral.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Heh. It will kill you to not get optimum mileage won't it Wayne. But I would also be interested to see what the mpg difference between fas and neutral would be. Maybe you can zero your trip or whatever you use to calculate mpg before you hit it and see that mileage you end up with doing both.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:19 PM

me too, speaking from the HAH side of the house...where the FAS option is almost not an option. I haven't been able to grab enough FAS events down to ~zero in the same places I normally N coast to get a feel for the mpg difference. Although I KNOW it is substantial, esp. in the HAH with all 6 cylinders drinking at idle.

I'm almost convinced that, for the HAH at least, for shorter coasts its better to take the engine drag hit but remain in gear on 3 cylinders than it is to idle all 6 at slightly lower rpm. (off topic and wrong forum, but we're all friends here...)

Old 09-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Hi Livvie and Tbaleno:

___You 2 are going to be the death of me Tom, this is your so called death turn and I am thinking of a way to experiment with it this evening after the rush clears out in 3 or so hours. If I reset down near Rt. 120 and I-94, I should hit the turn at maybe 40 mpg from a flying start reset because of the mile long climb into the Rt. 132 off-ramp … Possibly to much variance and I am not sure if there is a West Bound entrance at Rt. 120? Better yet, it’s a clover leaf so I will reset as I touch the overpass heading East, up and over the overpass itself, take the on-ramp and accelerate like a bat out of hell to 55 mph (55 mph North bound) and perform a std. FAS to the off-ramp, up, over, down, and around the corner to see where the averaging display lyes at the 2nd stop light. It should end up around 70 - 80 mpg range I bet? After that run, I can take an ICE idle - neutral coast through the same and see where she ends up.

___If I perform this experiment tonight, you 2 will be the first to know. I will bring the camera along to see how both methods fair. I am just not sure I can accelerate to 55 mph on that on-ramp only to take the off-ramp of the clover leaf at 52 or higher is all? I will figure something out but I am usually FAS’ing from about 60 mph from about ¼ or so miles before … maybe the Rt. 120 and I-94 flying start is the best method for a somewhat less error prone test?

___I will let you know because all I am doing now is rambling … You also know I will be throwing away at least .1 to .2 mpg on this tank to do this, right? That is the thing that is going to kill me

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: FAS performed for the first time

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands