Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FAS performed for the first time

hehe.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not sure why I haven't piped in yet on this topic, and Wayne's scientific prognosis is sure to be much more accurate in measuring the differential in FE between the two options, but while we wait for that, click on my signature and look at my last two tanks.

The 50.5 used neutral exclusively.
The 58.1 used FAS in the same exact spots over the course of the tank.

I'm a believer.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I first starting using "FAS" on my Vette. The Vette has an awesome real time mileage display that shows your current mileage down to the tenths of an MPG. With that big ole V-8 turning in neutral the display was not even close to maxed out when coasing in neutral. In fact I could not even maintain my average of 30 mpg when coasting in neutral below 20 mph. Just before my house there is one mile strech that I can coast at 15-25mph all the way into my driveway. Coasting in neutral was lowering my average so I started killing the engine with good mpg results. It does not matter how slow you go with the ICE off, the only thing that matters is distance. With the ICE on I had to maintain 20mph or my average would suffer.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

i'm a little confused, every time i've tried a forced auto-stop my entire gauge cluster turns off and doesn't stay on like in the videos. what am i doing wrong?

Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 AM

you need to turn the key back to II, but not all the way to III/start. That will restart the electronics, electric assist for steering, etc.

make sure you wait 2 sec or so before turning the key to make sure the engine is killed, or it may restart when you go to II.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

that's just the thing though, in Hot_Georgia's video, i never see the display cut out when he does a forced auto-stop (i.e.-"cutting fuel") i only see it on "reboot". so what gives? or do i need to watch the video a little closer?

edit: nevermind, just saw it done in lakedude's video, guess that's how it's done afterall. fantastic video btw

Last edited by inFiniTE LooP; 09-14-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Thanks

Please be careful with the FAS technique. I do it on mostly empty roads. It is not a good idea to use it in traffic.

Check out the discussion on FAS vs ABS to learn what we have just all learned about how the brakes work,

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-fas.3627.html

Old 09-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Does Hot_Georgia have a manual transmission, could he be starting the car via the clutch in gear method? This would not require the starter to engage at all. And no reset of the system either.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:28 AM

I have the CVT.

The starter does not engage...per say....it just spins the engine over, unlike the way a conventional starter does so there isn't any wear.

I'm not sure if you meant that or not....sorry if you didn't.

inFiniTE LooP, the display does indeed go blank but just for a second or so.
Actually, it was that blank time that triggered the "reboot" message.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Ok. anybody have a MT and does FAS? If so, does the system really reset? If you "pop" the clutch to start the engine?

Quick Reply: FAS performed for the first time

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands