Filling tank to 'First Click' - How much capacity left?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Default Re: Filling tank to 'First Click' - How much capacity left?

I always fill up only to the automatic shut-off and never beyond, and yet several times I've driven 60 miles after the low-fuel alarm goes off, while getting around 40 mpg. As someone else mentioned, there is at least 1.7 gallons remaining when the alarm goes off.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I always fill up only to the automatic shut-off and never beyond, and yet several times I've driven 60 miles after the low-fuel alarm goes off, while getting around 40 mpg. As someone else mentioned, there is at least 1.7 gallons remaining when the alarm goes off.
me too. i never top off. i just fill the tank at the slowest setting at the pump and then when it clicks off, that's it. i have consistently found over my 4 tank fillups that i put in between 10 and 10.75 gallons which means i have just about 2 gallons left. i normally take the gauge all the way down to zero bars on the fuel gauge. you should calibrate on your own vehicle to ensure that your fuel gauge is calibrated similarly before going down to zero bars.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Proud owner HCHII

The other way to approach it would be to always fill 10 gallons and not worry about the last bit. MPG would be so much easier to work out too.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I filled up my car this evening and I put in 9.9 gal in and I put another gal in after the click and there wasn't any gas even close to the top in the neck. I couldn't even see any gas after taking out the nozzle. I got 511.5 on that last tank and the low fuel indicator hadn't even come on yet. Not bad!!

Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I usually pump as much fuel as it will take.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

I have only filled up twice, but I pulled in both times right when the gas light comes on and added between 10 and 10.3 gallons. There appears to be about a 2 gallon buffer from once the gas light comes to when the tank is completely empty, since the owners manual states the tank holds 12.3 gallons.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

What do you mean by calibrate? Is there a way to adjust the fuel indicator? I usually fill my car up once all bars have disappeared and I usually only fill about 10.5-10.7 gallons. In a previous discussion, someone said the HCH2 can drive another 70 miles after all bars have disappeared. I don't push it that far.

Now.. I'm interested in calibrating my car.. hacking that is. I want to increase my autostops from 2 to 3 or more, and I want to make other adjustments... anyone else interested on their HCH2?

Originally Posted by nbalthaser
me too. i never top off. i just fill the tank at the slowest setting at the pump and then when it clicks off, that's it. i have consistently found over my 4 tank fillups that i put in between 10 and 10.75 gallons which means i have just about 2 gallons left. i normally take the gauge all the way down to zero bars on the fuel gauge. you should calibrate on your own vehicle to ensure that your fuel gauge is calibrated similarly before going down to zero bars.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Be careful... I don't know about Hondas, but on other cars you can "overfill" a tank. Since 1996, all manufacturers have been required to comply with OBDII (second generation emissions monitoring system). That monitors vapor pressure in the tank to control hydrocarbon emissions from unburned fuel (evaporative emissions). Overfilling could mess with vapor sensing equipment on some vehicles. Then, there's the vapor recovery system on most cars... fuel vapors are recovered and burned after being collected in a charcoal canister. If you fill every space in the tank with fuel, you could force liquid fuel through the vapor recovery lines and the canister, possibly damaging it.

Again, I don't know about Hondas. Can anyone comment on this possibility on the HCH?
This is true. The pump stops for a reason, don't force more in.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
Alster
I think filling till the point you can see the gas defeats the purpose of vapor recovery technology.

I believe that you are contributing to evaporative emissions, if not harming your car.

You are definitely causing more harmful crap to go into the air not to mention the possible spillage onto you hand, and the awful smell. First click - that's it.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
What do you mean by calibrate? Is there a way to adjust the fuel indicator?
sorry, by calibrate i mean try taking your tank down to zero bars and then fill up and see how many gallons went in. technically, because the hch.2 uses a composite resin tank, there should be very little variation in the number of gallons left once you take it down to zero bars. but i was still recommending that each person calibrate what "zero bars" means on their own hch.