First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Default Re: First Impressions

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
If I listen for it, it does indeed take about a second before it stabilizes, but I also noticed that if I just go ahead and press the gas without delay, the car takes off immediately.
You know, you might be right about this. I was in the habit of waiting for the car to start creeping forward before I press the gas pedal, but maybe just pressing the gas immediately works. It's true that I don't remember the car ever hesitating when I do press it. I wonder if this is something it does on purpose in case the driver only briefly takes his foot off the brake before putting it back on? Maybe it purposely waits a second to make sure the person is serious about moving forward (given that the accelerator still isn't pressed)?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I wonder if this is something it does on purpose in case the driver only briefly takes his foot off the brake before putting it back on? Maybe it purposely waits a second to make sure the person is serious about moving forward (given that the accelerator still isn't pressed)?
It could be. I did some more tests during lunch today. I tried putting my foot on the gas as quickly as possible (once even flooring it, opps!). There was a half-second delay before it moved, but there was little/no shudder or lurch. I think there's more of a shudder if I don't press the gas immediately.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
It could be. I did some more tests during lunch today. I tried putting my foot on the gas as quickly as possible (once even flooring it, opps!). There was a half-second delay before it moved, but there was little/no shudder or lurch. I think there's more of a shudder if I don't press the gas immediately.
Yes, I tried again when I took my lunch break a couple of hours ago. When I immediately pressed the gas, it took half a second to get in gear. But it took more than that -- at least one full second -- if I don't press the gas at all. And the shudder is definitely more dramatic when not moving.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Yes, I tried again when I took my lunch break a couple of hours ago. When I immediately pressed the gas, it took half a second to get in gear. But it took more than that -- at least one full second -- if I don't press the gas at all. And the shudder is definitely more dramatic when not moving.
I can't rule out the lurch I get in my 03 may be due to the CVT needing service (I'm at 45K and need to get that service done). Odds are my CVT fluid is 15K old (at least - forget if it's done at 30). I really have to be quick off the brake and on to the gas to beat the CVT. However to be nice to my transmission, I've made it a habit to wait until I feel the CVT engage and pull the car before using the gas. 90% of the time traffic allows it (with my looking ahead too).

I'm getting jealous of everyone's 06. I love mine, but I'll have to wait for the 2011 Civic Hybrid.