It's Here - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default It's Here - First Impressions

Yesterday I was having second thoughts about getting a new car, and as fate would have it I got a call from the dealership that my TCH was here a week early. So I picked it up last night. I've put about 45 miles on it and have read through the owner's manual.
  1. You know it's an unusual car. There's a whole page in the owner's manual that says you may here this or feel that. Each item is then followed with "This is normal".
  2. My only negative so far is the size of the trunk. I went to Sam's Club this morning and had to be creative with my loading. Not sure what we'll do when four of us go away for a week.
  3. Love the gadgets - keyless system, Homelink receiver, stereo. We have a detached garage as well as an attached garage. We're alway pulling out of the attached garage and having to run back in to grab the remote for the detached garage door. I now have all three garage doors programmed in the Homelink.
  4. I left most of my keys in the glove box. What a convenience to just keep one key in your pocket and not have to fiddle with anything to open the doors/trunk.
  5. I have a couple CDs programmed with MP3s. I just through one in this morning, set it to random and have hours of music.
  6. Mileage - I picked the car up with 23 miles and less than 5 mpg for the tank. Since then it's up to just under 30 mpg. I'm amazed to see over 500 miles to empty.
  7. I'm driving differently, trying to get the gas engine to turn off. I've probably pissed off a couple of people behind me.
  8. My TCH came with no options (although it's still loaded, JMHO). Not having the NAV I don't have the full blown hybrid display. I'd like it, but I think I'd prefer saving the $1200.
  9. I took my daughter and wife for a quick drive around the neighborhood last night. The ICE turned on when I started it, but turned off when I shifted to R to pull out of the garage. They both thought it had stalled. It was not quite a mile at 25 mph, and the ICE never turned on after that.
  10. If I was purchasing a non-hybrid Camry I probably would not spend extra money on some of the things that come standard on the hybrid (JBL, Homelink). However, I don't mind having them.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: It's Here - First Impressions

Congratulations! Pictures ?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
Congratulations! Pictures ?
Sure, come on over. I'd love for you to take some. OOhhh, I should take some. Actually, just got my first digital camera last week and have to learn how to use it.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It would be a long drive for me to come take pictures... *giggle*.

Well, at least you have a nice model for learning to use your new camera .

Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Congrats Marc, Barcelona Red?
Keep us posted on your results and more in-depth comments.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
Congrats Marc, Barcelona Red?
Keep us posted on your results and more in-depth comments.
No, Titanium.

I had a real lousy starting mileage for the tank because they must have been driving it around the dealership. This morning the average mileage was up to 29.4 mpg. What's amazing is driving around town has caused it to climb. I think it would be difficult not to average mid-30s in this car.