first oil change in 2008 civic hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast
Talking first oil change in 2008 civic hybrid

I just hit 15% on my oil meter. I've been told by people to let it go to 5% to get any loose metal shavings out. Yet others have told me to get it when light comes on at 15%. Any opinions on this matter, I'm leaning more towards the 5%!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: first oil change in 2008 civic hybrid

I try and go to 0% if possible! Why change before 0%? Oil is becoming a very expensive commodity! Your HCH does not require a filter on the first change as well so there are more savings. Enjoy your HCH as well as the benifits of owning one!
Cheers,H

Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Here is another view, and one that is supported by analysis.

Do not change the fill oil until you have reached 10,000 miles. While this will put the maintenance minder into a negative reading, not to worry. The Maintenance Minder is simply a visual aid to help remind you to do the routine maintenance on your car. It does nothing else, and does not affect anything or your warranty.

What a 10K oil change interval does is that this gives the factory fill oil a better chance to removing more of the manufacturing residue in the engine block. I would also recommend changing out the filter at the initial change, even though Honda recommends leaving the filter on until 20K miles. If you do choose not to replace the filter, be sure to remove it and drain it of the old oil.

I have consistently maintained a 10K (or approximately) service interval on my HCHII, and have had excellent results.

I test the drain oil at every change, and here is are the results of the last change, and the history of the previous changes. Look at how the contaminate levels dropped off from the first oil change.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Regarding the Maintenance Minder, and the 15% point:

As soon as ours get's to 15%, and the little wrench symbol comes on (and stays on), and the display switches from whatever you've got it set at (say Trip A mileage), to forced display of "15% oil life remaining", I freak out, and get it changed.

Still, the owners manual doesn't spell this out. There is this escalating barrage of warnings, and inconveniences of forced switching of display mode, but the manual doesn't say switch at 15%. I guess 0% is the inferred do-it-now instruction.

I stick to switching at 15% for a few reasons:

1. It gets the display back to normal.
2. I'm kind of "old school", used to more frequent changes with past vehicles.
3. I think there is likely some benefit to the engine. How much is debatable, but putting in fresh oil slightly more often has got to be good for your engine. I'd suspect the most detrimental time is just before you change the oil.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-13-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling, formatting, minor word edits
Old 12-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Regarding the Maintenance Minder, and the 15% point:

1. It gets the display back to normal.
2. I'm kind of "old school", used to more frequent changes with past vehicles.
3. I think there is likely some benefit to the engine. How much is debatable, but putting in fresh oil slightly more often has got to be good for your engine. I'd suspect the most detrimental time is just before you change the oil.
Consider the following responses to your points:
1. Can you reset the display or is it based upon actual sampling of the oil? If so, then you can get rid of the "nag factor".
2. Rather than being "old school", consider being data driven by engine oil analysis and let the actual results from your car guide your engine oil change intervals. I presume that, as a hybrid driver, you have made your choice based in part upon environmental concerns. Consider how much oil is wasted when the change interval is shorter than it needs to be. Consider the multiplier effect this has on oil disposal, the need to import replacement oil, and the cost of the extra oil changes. I have used Catepillar and Blackstone Engine oil analysis and I prefer the Blackstone reports.
3. The engine is harmed only if the oil does not provide proper lubrication. Engine oil analysis will provide you will a report of how much reserve your oil has (the TBN or Total Base Number) and also alert you to potential problems such as excessive wear.

You can take a sample of your current oil without changing it and send it off for analysis before deciding if it is time to change it. You can get a sample of the engine oil analysis free of charge from Blackstone. Here is how to do a sample: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_sampling.html

Old 12-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Why bother with the extra cost of labs! Follow the M.M. like Honda wants you to do. We are all old school, but should we not change with the times? Do what the book tells you and save your money! All you have to do is hit the reset every time you start your car to get rid of the 15% untill it gets to 0%. Then change oil.

Cheers,H

Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 PM

The OP asked for opinions.

Some people are of the opinion to let it slide another month or so, down to 5% or 0%, and back that up with good and valid arguments. I tend to think oil quality is "anologue", ie: it's not perfect up to the last moment, just as good as the day you put it in, and then it suddenly breaks down. I'm not trying to impose my opinion on anyone, just responding to the OP's request. Just saying what I do with my car.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I always go to 0%

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

I did a oil change and still says 15% i dont know why?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 AM

It's not that smart

You have to reset it, procedure is explained on page 182 of the Owners Manual

Quick Reply: first oil change in 2008 civic hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands