FM Radio Reception HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FM Radio Reception HCHII

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi everyone;

I don't have the answer to the poor reception on your car. I can tell all of you this, thats why I like the X/M because you get away from all of the poor signal quality and the rest of the problems with poor reception. I'm not telling anyone to purchase X/M but simply saying I have been there with this problem with different cars and when i finally bit-the-bullit and went to X/m I have never looked back.

Terry
See it's working already.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by AZMerf
Maybe that is a not small hint that we need to get the XM radio. Same thing cable did years ago. The over the air reception got progressively worst until everyone was forced to purchase cable if they wanted to watch TV.
But I can't get far from home before the cable pops out of the car...

Satellite is definitely the way to go...for both Radio and TV.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sasparilla has the best suggestion. It's what I tried to suggest but he said it much better. I think this is a wierd problem and hope I don't find the same on mine when I get it.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I must say since getting my new HCHII last friday, my radio reception has been excellent. I have tried both am and fm channels. Although the am channels seem a little tinty the reception is still good.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am having problems with FM receptions in my 2006 HCH. Too much static noise. I went to the dealer and the technician confirmed the static but when I gave my car for servicing they told me the other civics and hybrids have the same static problem and it is normal. I am clueless as this seems a quality issue to me here.. The dealer said he cannot do anything because all the other cars have the same problem.. what a bunch of a**holes..

My dealer is Honda of Stevens Creek in San Jose. I do not even think I would consider them for my next honda.

Any one else a solution or work-around to this problem other than going Satellite?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Energy Independence

Try another dealer if nearby.
They may see it differently.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, having recently purchased a new 2007 HCH. Generally, we love it. However, our biggest gripe -- other than with the somewhat disappointing gas mileage so far (37-41 mpg) -- is its inferior FM reception. By inferior, I mean worse than the JVC aftermarket radio in my Dodge Caravan, and worse than the factory radio in our great old 1994 Toyota Corolla wagon. On CDs and XM (add-on unit, not factory installed), the sound quality is excellent, so the problem is not with the speakers or electronics. I've speculated that the little stub of an antenna might be the culprit, and I have even gone on line looking for longer replacements (no luck). Any suggestions for "upgrading" the stock antenna? I'm not as interested in an electronic signal booster, although I remain open minded.

XM is fine, but we like our local stations. BTW, AM sensitivity is acceptable -- although the designers of the AM tuner have apparently eliminated all frequencies above 1 kHz, so it sounds lousy even for AM.

Thanks!

Charlie

Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
HOV lane commuter

Charlie - You're right about the AM sound ... have had the same experience and others have commented on that as well.

All - Have not had any reception problems with FM personally - but I do not have the NAVI, so maybe that's the culprit?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

Hi J.R.,

Thanks for the reply -- I take some comfort in not being alone in having low quality AM sound.

As for FM -- no, I don't have the NAVI system, either; this is just the regular stock radio. And the sound quality of the FM tuner is not bad -- it just has lower sensitivity than I am used to in automobile tuners, so that normally reliable FM stations fade in and out or get noisy as I drive. It seems simple enough to screw in a longer antenna in place of the old stubby one, if some company (or even Honda) decided to produce such a replacement. But as I have not heard back from anyone about this, I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Charlie

Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

I love my Honda but the radio reception is less than desirable. Major stations should not have static. I will not get XM radio. Maybe the cars that are made in Japan have this problem.