HCH II GPS & metallic tints

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH II GPS & metallic tints

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me for sure where the GPS antenna and AM/FM radio antennas pick up their signals? I am interested in a particular aftermarket tint brand (Huper Optik Acht), which has some metal in it, and I'm not sure if it will degrade the GPS or radio signals.

One installer (who was recommending Llumar ATR, which also has metal), said that they've installed such films without problem because the GPS antenna is in the trunk. The Honda dealer, if I recall right, said it was in the dash, but also didn't think that aftermarket tinting would be a problem with the car's electronics.

Can anyone confirm a GPS or radio signal degredation with metallic tints on an HCHII? I'm planning on doing the front side windows too.

thanks,

- Frank

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler
Default Re: HCH II GPS & metallic tints

AM/FM and Satellite radio reception comes through the roof mounted antenna on the Civic Hybrid. Reception for the factory installed GPS navigation system comes through an antenna installed in the dash of the Civic Hybrid. Basically the GPS signal is received through the windshield, which obviously will not be covered with an aftermarket tint. Tints installed on side and rear window glass should not interfere with the radio or navi reception.