Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Headlight Question

I really don't see safety as an issue. My last 3 cars had standard halogen headlights, and I never had any issue with visibility at night, nor have I ever had to replace a headlight. Just my 2 cents. Seems to me that the whole silverstar aftermarket is driven by appearance more than function.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Grrrrr.....within two weeks BOTH Silverstars have petered out. Less than 6 months too. TERRIBLE!!!! Stock for me from now on!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:49 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Headlight Question

Originally Posted by Lansing
Grrrrr.....within two weeks BOTH Silverstars have petered out. Less than 6 months too. TERRIBLE!!!! Stock for me from now on!!!
Very strange, I have them in my Mercedes the wife drives and also had them in my 2005 Civic and now I have them in my New HCH II and have not had a concern with them Burning Out yet.

If you want to give them another try? I bought mine in sets from Wall Mart and they had the best price.

Good-Luck

Terry

Old 05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

Go hidplanet.com/forums and they have a ton of info. Sign up and go to this link: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080

Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Very strange, I have them in my Mercedes the wife drives and also had them in my 2005 Civic and now I have them in my New HCH II and have not had a concern with them Burning Out yet.

If you want to give them another try? I bought mine in sets from Wall Mart and they had the best price.

Good-Luck

Terry
I had the same experience with Silverstars in my Insight - replaced them almost quarterly.
I loved the whiter light (I have somewhat poor night vision) but couldn't stand replacing them every couple of months.

Not sure why, but maybe it's the GREAT roads I have in PA causing the filaments to break prematurely?

Anyway - I switched back to 'stock' halogen bulbs, and drove the Insight for 1.5 more years without changing a bulb.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 AM
YA RLY.

Sylvania Silverstars put out slightly more light at the expense of overall life.

Scroll down for a small chart for some examples:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

Old 05-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

Don't ask me to explain the science or logic behind this but the clerk at Advance Auto told me that it's the oil off of your hands/fingers that makes these bulbs prematurely fail. So last time I replaced them I got some rubbing alcohol and wipped off both bulbs with a rag after getting them into the socket but before putting them back into the light enclosure. Knock on wood, 14 months and still going strong.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greyghost
Don't ask me to explain the science or logic behind this but the clerk at Advance Auto told me that it's the oil off of your hands/fingers that makes these bulbs prematurely fail. So last time I replaced them I got some rubbing alcohol and wipped off both bulbs with a rag after getting them into the socket but before putting them back into the light enclosure. Knock on wood, 14 months and still going strong.
no different than replacing any hi-temp bulb- don't touch with bare hands, or clean it the way you did.

The oil and salt from even 'clean' hands creates regions on the quartz (not 'glass') bulb that trap and hold more heat than the untouched quartz area, creating a local hot spot that over time causes the crystal to generate defects, and ultimately, fail.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You should write them an email to them and they will send you check for the amount apiad. That happenend to my Honda CR-V.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exbauer
You should write them an email to them and they will send you check for the amount apiad. That happenend to my Honda CR-V.
I just did. They asked for my receipt and bulbs and they'll send a refund. Even though I am on my second set and liked the light, these things are going in the trash (or back to Sylvania in this case). Changing bulbs every 5 months is bad.

The interesting thing is that Gayle there says they get a lot of complaints from Honda owners. She says we have 14V systems ????? Hummm.....

Back to stock for me.