Hey guys, new 04 hybrid owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!
Default Hey guys, new 04 hybrid owner

Hey guys, just got a 04 civic hybrid (72k) manuel, and i love it.

2 quick questions, the hybrid battery doesnt look like its charging all the way, it charges maybe 90-95%. Is that normal?

Also, when it is at the full charge, or almost full charge, the car doesnt always turn off (the auto idle stop - only maybe 20% of the time does it turn off.) Even when the car is warmed up, and its in neutral.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hey guys, new 04 hybrid owner

Yes, 90-95% is about what mine will charge to.

If it's cold outside, say <30F, the autostop won't work. Also, try pushing the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor to engage the autostop.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Yup, I've only had the car for a couple days so far, so I will make sure to drive it more before making conclusions.

Any problems I should look out for?

The IMA system in my car is still under warrenty for 8k more, so if you can point any common problems I can look out for, that would be cool.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

I dont think I would be worried about any problem areas, its a Honda, they are for the most part VERY reliable - even the Hybrids.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Thanks guys. I've heard bad stories about the auto CVT, but the manuel looks kosher.

You guys have a hard time finding air filter replacements? I ended up getting a dark K&N drop in online because of it!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Sorry guys - one more quick question.

When does the timing belt have to be replaced? My car has 72k, and i bet
that the last owner didnt replace it yet.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No major problem areas I'm aware of, though there is a class action lawsuit going on for all Hondas that alleges problems in the odometers- so your car may end up being under warranty for longer than you thought. The settlement provides for an extra 5% on the warranty, just fyi. check back a bit in the HCH threads for a discussion of this.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Wow, thanks leah. appreciate that.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Some of what you're asking about is covered in the user manual. If you didn't get one, it may be a good idea to acquire one. For example, there are several conditions where your auto-stop won't engage - temperature being one. In the 03 it's < 41 degrees BTW. Also, there's a brake condition that needs to be met (it won't turn your car off unless the brakes have enough pressure (or vacuum) to work). :-) It also won't go off unless you have enough juice in the battery to start it back up.

Not sure about the timing belt -I just had my 60K service and it didn't require it. This would also be in the user manual. My guess would be at 100K.

Couple other quick tips - go with 0W20 oil (you may have to buy from auto store - Jiffy Lube and such does not carry). Or get it changed at the dealer. Watch the tire pressure and tire selection. If you don't have Bridgestone 320 (I think) or Dunlop SP20's then they've been replaced. If they didn't change out with a low-rolling-resistance (LRR) tire or the replaced with originals, you may have some mileage issues. Not much - 2-3 MPG at most.

The batteries seem to be wearing well - several on here have over 90K miles and the batteries are fine.

Congrats on the new car!

Last edited by Tim; 01-14-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Thanks man!

I figured out the auto-stop problem, the econ button needs to be turned on!

Tires are some cheap generic tires - at 360 treadwear, they will be replaced soon.

I've had a lot of trouble finding 0w20 too, what brands have you guys found that meet the specs?

Quick Reply: Hey guys, new 04 hybrid owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands