Higher speed driving in HCH 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Higher speed driving in HCH 2006

Originally Posted by psyshack
This is a area of the country thats very hard on all cars, trucks and there drivers. Google earth Mena, Ar. Its 60 miles of hills in any direction. Basicly 80 miles to a freeway in any direction. I was very impressed with the 36 mpg my ex got on the drive. Talking with the couple that have a prius. They love there car. But they admit its hard on it and the best they see now is 38 mpg. even with assist its hard pulls everywhere. OOO but then theres the coast and regen apsect. It has to be the good. NOT!! Your in the brakes getting around the next curve and there goes your speed,, to just look at another hill or mt. and no matter what you do. Your in the gas again. Straight and near level,, its 80 miles away.

I did not mean to say a hybrid would die there. Or indcate that. The area acclerates wear and tear on all cars and trucks. You see a 100k mile car come out of that area its used up.
I can see where he's going here. You pretty much have to really know a mountain to decide how to "correctly" drive it. In AZ (like on the way from Mesa to Winslow on the 87), there are hills I know I'll have enough assist battery to scale, and ones I know I don't. The "battery killers" I just have to scale in the proper gear to keep the revs up and the assist off, lest I flatten the battery half way up and have to drop down a gear anyway...

Old 01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
you didn't describe the weather conditions, and I take it you were driving at least 80 mph. You had 3 stops. Without the three stops you would have to have driven around 74 mph. If I stay close to 60 mph, my tank stays mid to high 50 mpg even when it is 30-40 degrees. I get over 60 mpg when the temp gets closer to 70. 80 mph is not efficient for ANY car. You are still getting nearly twice the average vehicle at that speed. It is all relative (and not your cousin ).
I thought my sarcasm would shine through. Conditions were mixed, heavy rain at times, light rain, and perfect conditions. Oh and I had 3 people including myself on board with luggage for 3 adults to last 1 week. Also, even though the average was a mere 74mph... I can attest to going much higher to make up for the 3 stops.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
Imagine how much more disappointing your MPG would have been if you were driving a non-hybrid car that way.

I never thought I would see the day when a hybrid DRIVER would get less than 40 MPG.

I'm very dissapointed.
But not in the car.
I think I made the exact trip on my s2k but it took a little longer because I didn't want the dirt being kicked up by trucks to ruin the finish... haha. And I needed to stop once for gas, required around 15 gallons to make the trip.

Last edited by livvie; 01-17-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

ahhh sarcasm ... I sometimes miss out on that . You sound like your car was a bit loaded up. I know what I can expect in mpg if I ever decide to speed up on a long trip.

Would you trade in your S2ooo, if they made a hybrid version? Or another sporty 2-seater that was comparable came out (or is it you like the convertible)? Just curious. I assume it is a FUN car. I would like to play with one some day.

Take care and enjoy yourself!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Razorx

Originally Posted by livvie
I think I made the exact trip on my s2k but it took a little longer because I didn't want the dirt being kicked up by trucks to ruin the finish... haha. And I needed to stop once for gas, required around 15 gallons to make the trip.
What is sad is finding myself "gliding" in my S2k... not really the point.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
ahhh sarcasm ... I sometimes miss out on that . You sound like your car was a bit loaded up. I know what I can expect in mpg if I ever decide to speed up on a long trip.

Would you trade in your S2ooo, if they made a hybrid version? Or another sporty 2-seater that was comparable came out (or is it you like the convertible)? Just curious. I assume it is a FUN car. I would like to play with one some day.

Take care and enjoy yourself!!!
If the hybrid version didn't compromise performance or handling then I might consider it but I don't see how that's possible. The extra weight would probably hurt the handling of the car. It's a race car with really no frills, I wish the top would come with a manual option to save even more weight.