Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Originally Posted by gonavy
- ALL modern fuel-injected vehicles shut off fuel when your foot is off the gas/CC is off. Verify this with an OBD2 reader- mpg maxes out on any vehicle, and emissions goes into 'open loop' operation.

- I agree with your comparison. But remember: "elegant" is often an engineering coverterm for a little more complex than we anticipated, but D*MN it looks sexy. Engineers like complexity- ego and prestige scale linearly with it; technicians (who have to fix it) hate complexity.

(No comment on HSD reliability; both systems are very likely to be able to more than suuport a full vehicle lifetime)
I think the Instaneous MPG meter really drives home the point in a very beneficial way. Also, I do agree on the less friction/drag as the car decels. It was a very noticable difference when I drove a rental last week in California.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

I agree that any assitance made to the effort of moving the car apart from ICE is an Hybrid..

Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

- Dean Wormer's car? Or was that the type of hybrid the guys drove through the parade?

Agreed 100%.
It was the black car in the end. Little did we know the boys from Delta House were such forward thinking environmental activists and scientists. What we didn't see was at the end of the movie when "Bluto" was driving off, he was hypermiling.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
YA RLY.

From what I've seen on the net, only a small group of Prius elitists seem to not want to believe the HCH is a true hybrid. If people have to attack someone else's car to make their car look better, well that pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

enough. no more back&forth about what is or is not a hybrid- what's the contribution being made?

We all have access to a dictionary and can lookup the definition; the 'spirit' of what a hybrid vehicle is is much more subjective, varies from one person to another, and debating it here serves little use. Especially when there have been many other threads on the exact same question.

Now, if there is a specific question or further comment concerning the HCH specifically, let's get on with it. If not, let the thread go.
I posted this topic to incite a meaningful discussion between the different hybrid technologies, not to bash the HCH. It seems that some people here are a bit touchy on this subject Also, not everything on this board have to serve a purpose, does it?

Old 06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's really simple.

Two power systems, regardless of whether they act independently or in concert, constitutes a hybrid system. The HCH is a hybrid of two power systems: Gasoline, Electric.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
no more oil

Originally Posted by Aussie
At the end of the day, it's great to be driving a Hybrid of any configuration. But what we must not loose site of is the reason why.

1/ To reduce emissions

2/ To decrease our dependance on fossil fuels

3/ To decrease fuel consumption

The Honda does all these admirably.

If you look at the home page of this forum you can see that fuel consumption wise there is very little difference between the two.

I admit that you can't really drive the HCH on electric only...or if you can for not as long as the Prius.

Nevertheless I'm convinced that value for money wise, the HCH-II is a much better option.....and.....and....it looks better!

This is the best explanation of why we should buy a hybrid I have heard since I got here.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by Tim
It was the black car in the end. Little did we know the boys from Delta House were such forward thinking environmental activists and scientists. What we didn't see was at the end of the movie when "Bluto" was driving off, he was hypermiling.
Actually, I think the black car was fueled by a form of alcohol (beer, not ethanol), plus some illegal substances and thus was the first green hybrid on record.

Aneil

Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

full... mild... wild... blah... whatever...

I don't really care about the differences between HSD and IMA. As long as they're getting the job done. Besides, a little competition is a good thing! But, I'm more interested in the end result: less fuel consumption while making less of an impact on the environment. I'm definitely not an environment junkie, but I do my part when I can.

Which leads me to my next thought. For all those people that say they bought a hybrid for the sole reason of helping the environment: do you realize you would have made an even bigger impact if you just bought a fuel efficient and low emissions USED car? I mean, why add to the problem with just another new car on the road.

On a totally unrelated topic, last night as I was driving the family back from an event about four hours away, I stopped at a gas station to fuel up and get a drink. I chose Vault (Coca Cola) because it was by the register. As I got back into my hybrid and continued on my way, I noticed on the bottom of the label it says "sugar free hybrid." I pointed out to my wife that I had bought a hybrid soda. She was not amused.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bar10dah
...Which leads me to my next thought. For all those people that say they bought a hybrid for the sole reason of helping the environment: do you realize you would have made an even bigger impact if you just bought a fuel efficient and low emissions USED car? I mean, why add to the problem with just another new car on the road. ...
Have you looked for a 40mpg used car in good condition lately? There is a reason they are hard to find - not many of them have been built the past fifteen years. With the success of the Mini-Cooper, the mini-car demand is finally going up with offering such as the Yaris and Fit, but for a number of reasons, they will not do as well as their 1980's counterparts:
  • Better safety - I won't knock better bumpers and manditory airbags, but it does add weight
  • Fewer 5-speeds - Automatics have come a long way in thirty years, but manuals are still better
  • More emphasis on performance - in 1980, zero to sixty mpg was typically fifteen seconds. Now the demand is ten or less. The Mini-Cooper only gets about 35mpg - about half of the 5-speed Insight.
If you check out www.fueleconomy.gov, the CO2 emisssion of the 1988 CRX HF is nearly as low as the 2000 5-speed Insight. For the other emissions, the difference is considerably more. I'm guessing the CRX HF was rated LEV, while the 5-speed Insight is SLEV, the CVT Insight SULEV. I hate to knock diesels, but unless they are running on the cleaner diesel fuel comming out or bio-diesel, they are not going to look good on emissions...

By all means take a look at the used car market, but be aware the selection of 40mpg vehicles is limited, not even considering many of these vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them. I remember krousdb making a trip to get an Insight, but passed because the condition was suspect, so he got a Del Sol.

Quick Reply: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands