Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Originally Posted by Tulip
Why cannot Honda do a deal with a major insurance broker to offer special rates for its Hybrids which will clearly have a better claims history than most other makes? What has been their experience with HCHI? The insurers share claims info - are we being treated fairly,or are we paying for 18 year olds driving hot-hatches? Could be a strong selling point.

My wife is amazed at my conversion overnight from road-hog to gentle caring motorist since I took delivery of my beauty! Judging from most of the posts here I am not alone.
I don't think Honda (or any other maker) would be able to pull that off. The car is only part of the equation, and a small one at that. It's all about the driver. Honda cannot guarantee that a Hybrid owner will be any safer than anyone else. Although, our experience here at this site would seem to indicate that we, in general, are safer (less aggressive) drivers.

And yes, you and everyone else are paying for those 16-23 year olds. One big strike against us is that we're not a large demographic. Sure, an insurance company can offer better rates for hybrid owners, but how many people would that actually attract? Probably not enough to offset the cost of the TV commercials to tell us about it.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
My wife and I pay around $850/month total for both our 06 HCH and 99 CR-V. My previous Integra GS-R was nearly $700 a month alone.
I hope you mean every 6 months?!?

I pay about $1480 a year for my 04 HCH, and I think that's ridiculous, but it seems like insurance rates really climbed up the past five years or so. I use Allstate, but I'll definitely consider the Traveler's hybrid discount if it comes to Texas.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

State Farm. $395/ 6 months (up $60/ 6 mon from my 04 Accord) in Missouri. Price under MSRP, cheap insurance....y'all move out here, hear?(warning, though...red state territory; can't have everything)

Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Archslater
My wife and I pay around $850/month total for both our 06 HCH and 99 CR-V. My previous Integra GS-R was nearly $700 a month alone.
Really every month or every 6? Please edit your post if it is every 6.

I've had insurance from StateFarm, Geico and Progressive and all I can say is that it is a good idea to shop around every few years. Geico was the lowest when I had tickets on my record but after 3 years with no tickets Progressive was cheapest. With Progressive insurance on the HCH is $445.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:47 PM

I pay $203/6 months on my 03 HCH with 20/40 BIL, 25 PDL, no PIP or UMBI, my comp deductible is $500, and my collision is $1000, I also get $50 for each towing disablement. 21st century is the way to go. 21st.com. If you switch, let me know.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Hmm,
Well, here's a reason that Civic rates ought to be lower than some:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/

But then here's a reason they might be higher (in some areas):

http://www.insurance.com/Article.asp...Cars/artid/340

LOTS of variables affect insurance. As advised by many here, shop around! And maybe move to a different state.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:55 PM

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm STUNNED !!!! I mean, REALLY stunned at what you other people pay....

I live in So Cal, LA in particular, its one of the MOST expensive areas in the state supposedly. Well, my mom and I have TWO cars on the policy, mine and hers. She has a 96 Ford Windstar, I have the HCH II. We pay 231 a month for BOTH cars !!!! I have full coverage on mine, 25/50/15, with uninsured motorist coverage and rental car coverage. She has basic liability and property damage and uninsured motorist coverage. Now, she is a good driver, but honestly, I have two points. A ticket, AND an accident. What shocks me is some of you pay WAY MORE a month for ONE car....and worst of all, I'm only 21 YEARS OLD !!!! How did I get SUCH a steal compared to you guys ????!!!!

Old 04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In Northern CA, with AAA, my wife as the primary driver, multi-car plus homeowner's insurance discount, clean record, the HCH is insured for about $85 per month ($1000/year).

Old 04-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Casper49
My insurance went from $350/6months (2002 Hyundai XG350) - to $600/6months (HCHII) with Allstate. (full coverage (100/300/100) in No. Cal.

Switched to 21st and am down to $325/6 months.
Okay, I went back and re-entered my info into State Farm, to see how much my exact policies would be here, vs. there. I chose Chico as my imaginary Northern California place of residence, because, let's face it, it would be cool to live in a place that was named for one of the Marx brothers!

6 mo. policy for three cars, including HCH II in Iowa: $583.00

Exact same policy in Chico: $924.00

Living in the Midwest: Priceless

Last edited by toast64; 04-02-2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: oops! used wrong rate number
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

In Oregon I'm paying $95/mo for my 06 HCH w/ State Farm. Even with an accident this year it's only $15 per month more than my 98 Chevy Prizm was, but the Civic has much better safety ratings (and a better chance of being stolen!)

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands