How long does it take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default How long does it take?

Folks,

I got a question for y'all. I just finshed up my first tank with my brand new hybrid. I averaged 40.7 MPG and close to 425 for the tank before fill up. I am a little disappointed but I think I have read that it takes a few tanks to "break in" the car.

What puzzles me are a few things:

1. Right now the temp is very pleasant in Alabama. I used airconditioning probably no more than 25% of the time.

2. I was very light footed on the gas pedal. I was cognizant of not flooring the thing and losing precious go go juice.

Should I wait a few tanks before I get better results? I am hoping my MPG gets much better because I am not all that crazy about this go-around.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How long does it take?

I think it has more to do with your driving style, terrain, etc. I've been getting in the high 40s since my first tank and now am seeing 50+.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ditto to what Merf said. It is all about driving style.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:17 PM

It takes time for the car and YOU to break in.
I think after a year you and the car will be 100% broken in.

If temp is pleasant why use AC at all?
Turn the fan to blow directly onto you and wear lighter clothes.
Remember the "Rule of 45":
If you are going over 45 roll up the windows and turn on the AC.
Under 45 you will save gas by rolling down the windows and turning off the AC and fan.
This is because drag increases with speed.
Park in the shade - that will lower need for AC.

There are a zillion gas saving tips here.
Snoop around.

If you have a similar daily commute, zero one of the trip meters every morning.
Experiment with different gas-saving ideas.
Compare every day.
This is how I got my MPG up to 60.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think a lot has to do with changing your driving habits. I only got 42+ on my first tank and now 2/3 through my second tank I am averaging 46+. I do the majority of my driving in rush hour bumper to bumper, stop and go. Hopefully, by my third tank I will be closer to 50.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have strong doubts about break-in periods and FE gains. My best tank on my Tacoma was my first at 29.5mpg. Next best was the 5th tank at 29.3, but I've been trying hard to beat that first one. Now that the weathers nice it's only a matter of time.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Tires. I'm of the opinion that new tires take a bit to wear in and become efficient. I noticed this when my 03 was new, and last Nov I replaced them with new Continentals. There was a VERY noticeable tug with the new tires for about the first 1K miles. After that, they seemed to roll much better.

I also agree with it's a combo of car and driver - give yourself some time to get your techniques down. Light on the gas is one aspect. Idling seems to be a factor (stop and go traffic, drive throughs, etc.) It took me a good year of driving to internalize the good habits to the point I didn't have to think about it. Good luck!

Last edited by Tim; 04-01-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'll weigh in with my typical advice:

1. It's not your raw MPG that you should worry about, it's your relative MPG. If your typical commute and driving style give you 40 MPG in the HCH, then you would probably be getting only 30-32 in a regular Civic.

Your relative MPG will always be a constant 20-35% better than in the equivalent non-hybrid.

2. Your driving style can definitely make a difference; but an overwhelming factor is your typical commute or trip; if it is favorable, you can easily meet or beat EPA numbers. If not, then you won't.

E.g., if I commuted into the city, about 25 miles per day, I would easily get 50-55 MPG just by going 60-65 MPH. But I don't: my commute is six miles, down/up hill, with 13 stop signs and traffic lights. In the winter, my car is barely figuring out how to autostop by the time I pull into work. I squeak out low-to-mid forties in MPG.

So your typical drive is going to have a major difference on your MPG. However, the good news is that you can relax, because your relative MPG compared to an equivalent non-hybrid Civic is still going to be 20-35%, no matter how good or bad your typical drive is. So as the our Aussie friends say: no worries!

Old 04-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Proud owner HCHII

Just filled my second tank. First was 501 miles and second 544, in each case I had about 70 miles left in reserve. If I can fill every 600 miles I shall be very pleased.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 PM

My wife and I have driven our HCH close to 4000 miles and 8 tanks. I don't see any significant change in MPG since the first tank. Don't count on any significant break in.

Quick Reply: How long does it take?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands