How much gas is left when the indicator light comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much gas is left when the indicator light comes on?

The main issue I found (unless you have access to a proper garage lift) is the extra hassle of getting past the aerodynamic shield under the engine. I jack it high enough to swing it down at it's hinge point, others just take it completely off, others still just let it flop down at the hinge without the car raised that high, and tuck a drain pan in the gap.

I just get my 0W20 through the dealership, it's around 8.50~9.00 per liter, or sometimes less if the parts guy takes pity on you. I've found a few local retail sources for Penzoil or Mobile I, but it's US quarts, and they were not saving you anything. Wait till you see the price of CVT fluid

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-30-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a garage at my house so I will put it up on ramps or jack stands. I am going to order some 0w20 from online then (Amsoil maybe) for that price.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maloski
I just finished off my first tank of gas in my new 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, and got 496.4 miles on the first tank. My mpg trip indicator was right around 40 (39.9). I was going to go for the famous "500 mile" tank, but chickened out at the last minute. The refuel indicator (yellow gas tank light) came on around 473 miles, with 2 bars still showing on the fuel gauge. The owner's manual says that ~1.9 gallons remain when this light goes on, so I thought I had at least another ~80 miles left and should hit 500 no problem. However, when I hit ~493 miles the two bars had quickly gone to ZERO and there were no bars showing anymore on the fuel gauge. Then I got worried, and pulled over on the next exit to refuel. When I re-fueled, the pump stopped at 10.6 gallons, so I was thinking, if the tank holds 12.3, maybe I really did have ~1.7 gallons left. But then I decided to "top-off" the tank with another 5-10 pumps and eventually got about 12.4 gallons into the tank. Wha'ts the deal - how many gallons does the tank really hold? Should I top it off? How many gallons really remain when the yellow fuel light indicator comes on?
Is it just me or are your numbers not jiving? If you were getting 39.9mpg, if you squeezed every last drop of gas out of the 12.4 gallon tank, that would have given you 494.76, about 2 miles short of what you said. So if you really pumped 12.4, you were seriously running on fumes

I just got a 2009 HCH. Bought it used with 3000 miles on it. I drive 106 miles everyday to work and back (total, all highway) and for the first week I'm getting 45.5mpg. I've got about 3 bars left on the fuel gauge but I wanted to see if I could go the whole week without gassing up. Looks like I should have no problems with that

Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Fuelmiser, for the method where the engine shield is removed completely a conventional 2 ton floor jack lift of the front end will do. Or, to be able to just disconnect the front of the shield and swing it down at the hinge point, you'll need to lift the car about 14" (minimum). I do the latter.

My method is to raise the whole car that minimum 14" in stages: raising the front first, then the back, then the front to full raise, and finally bring the back up to be level.

I use a 3 ton jack with a quoted (no load) lift of around 21", and (4) 6 ton safety stands with range from around 15" to 21". I also have a 2 ton jack and a set of 2 ton safety stands, which come in handy for other chores, say brake jobs & tire rotation.

I also employ a bed of on-edge 2x4's and a couple of 3/4" medite sheets of sim dimensions, to get more range out of the jack. The rear jacking point in particular is quite high up. Without the raised bed you waste a lot of your jack's travel just getting to it.

Last but not least, I put my snow tires under there (2 stacks of 2, near the front and under the rocker panels), for insurance, before crawling under.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 07-31-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip, my ramps should get me up high enough. I just did a friends Versa which has a similar plastic cover and it worked fine driving up on the ramps. I just ordered 6 L of 0w20 Amsoil and a cpl Amsoil oil filters too.