HU & Amp install... no more IMA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default HU & Amp install... no more IMA?

I put in a new Head unit and amp in my 2005 civic hybrid and it worked fine for a few hours. I had no problems at all at first. The check engine light came on after I installed them, I'm guessing because I disconected the battery in the engine area. Other than that... everything normal.

After a few times of restarting the car and messing around with the settings on them the IMA light came on and the battery level bars left. Also the remote keyless entry and lock don't work after the car is off now too.

The amp is connected to the battery in the engine area and grounded both to the floor of the trunk and to the HU ground in the dash. The HU is just wired from the factory wires. It's only a 420w amp so it's not big and it's not turned up to full either.

What could I possibly have done? Any guesses? Hate to have to take it in for service just because I put in a new radio. Would the fact that I disconected the battery too connect the amp wire have reset the IMA unit?

Thanks

PS Love my car :-)

Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
G.H. Contributor
Unhappy Re: HU & Amp install... no more IMA?

Originally Posted by riffy
I put in a new Head unit and amp in my 2005 civic hybrid and it worked fine for a few hours. I had no problems at all at first. The check engine light came on after I installed them, I'm guessing because I disconected the battery in the engine area. Other than that... everything normal.

After a few times of restarting the car and messing around with the settings on them the IMA light came on and the battery level bars left. Also the remote keyless entry and lock don't work after the car is off now too.

The amp is connected to the battery in the engine area and grounded both to the floor of the trunk and to the HU ground in the dash. The HU is just wired from the factory wires. It's only a 420w amp so it's not big and it's not turned up to full either.

What could I possibly have done? Any guesses? Hate to have to take it in for service just because I put in a new radio. Would the fact that I disconected the battery too connect the amp wire have reset the IMA unit?

Thanks

PS Love my car :-)
Jim;
I cannot tell you what you did to have caused this situation to occur. However just a word to the wise here. If your install has actually caused these problems with your 2005 HCH I? I can tell you that your Honda Dealer may (CHARGE-YOU) for all the (REPAIR-WORK) that it is going to take to get the car back into 100 % Factory Specs. They very well may not elect to cover it under the Honda Warranty. So just beware.

After market anything is taking a chance on the owner having to pay for repairs when something goes wrong after the after market equipment is installed.

Good-Luck !!!

Terry

Old 04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HU & Amp install... no more IMA?

ya...

Just strange that it's only 3 wires, battery ground and acc. Can't figure out what would have gone wrong or why. Only guess it that the amp didn't turn off on one of the restarts and it drained the battery? *shurg* It just doesn't make sence to me.

Calling the dealership tomorrow :-( see what they have to say.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Okay, first. Honda would have to cover it if it was installed by a professional. Unfortunately it sounds like you did it yourself.

Second, you said your amp has two grounds. One to the floor and one to the headunit. You should only have one. Generaly an amp has a wire for ground, a wire for power, and a wire for remote turn on. Power comes directly from the battery (like you say it is), the ground goes to a ground point (the floor of the trunk is okay for this), the third wire usualy goes to the power antenna wire or accessory wire that has +12v when they key is on or in the accessory position.

What I would do instead of taking it to the dealer is taking it to a repuatable car audio shop. They can probably repair anything you did wrong or at least get the radio wired correctly. Then I'd take it to the dealer if the car doesn't recover on its own.

I am running much more in my car than you are and I haven't had any problems.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Enthusiast

Ya it's grounded on the trunk floor and then that wire also is grounded to the radio ground to that same spot. So realy they are both just grounded at the same place cuz I found bare metal on the trunk floor is the only reason why I did that. If that makes any sence? I've installed lots of car stereos threw the years on various cars and that's why it's got me stumped... did it all the same as usual.

Live in a small town, not much of any place I know of to take it too. Did buy the amp from crutchfield though and thought about calling them, see if they know anything. As for recovering on it's own, I think something is either disconected *got loose when I was moving wires* or something. There has to be some thing causing it and I am truely stumped. The only things I did disconect was the battery to add the amp wire and the stuff behind the dash *climate controls & them buttons*, nothing else I know of.

The strange thing is it worked for awhile before anything happened bad. Like I said I started it over and over playing with the settings and stuff. Drove around the block a few times too. Then all the sudden in the driveway.... the IMA light came on and no more battery meter. Went and checked to see if the battery termanal came loose right after that, but nope, tight as can be.

The fact it happened quite a bit after I had it all installed is what really throws me. Well like 4-5 hours :-p but still. Never touched nothing in that time, was just tweaking stuff and figuring out stuff on it. No pop from a fuse, no smells, no nothing that would sugest I did something. Also noticed the door light doesn't come on when the door is opened now too. It's just so strange. For all I know it's something stupid and simple.

Won't be able to get it in for a few days I'm sure. The dealership here is always busey since it's a small town and they do cars from all around. See what they say when I call em tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
G.H. Contributor
Smile Re: HU & Amp install... no more IMA?

Jim;

Good Luck on this. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out.

Terry

Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

hehe... ended up being a fuse that had come loose. $15 later fixed. They also said I couldn't have possibly have done it ether.

On a side note though... $500 something for the 30k service! That seemed realy high to me! Had that done since they had it there.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

oh... and they didn't charge me the 3+ hrs it took em to find that fuse either LOL

Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riffy
On a side note though... $500 something for the 30k service! That seemed realy high to me! Had that done since they had it there.
That's pretty typical from a Honda dealer. They do a good job but it's always on the pricey side. 30K service on my Accord was in the $450 range. Solution: bought a shop manual.