I ran out of fuel today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I ran out of fuel today!

The other day I filled mine up for the second time. I had one bar on the fuel gauge and the fuel warning light came on about 10 miles before my fuel stop. The last bar went out about a mile away leaving me with no bars for a mile. When I filled it I got 12.7 gallons to the click off point. That's just a half gallon away from empty according to the manual, so I think I would only have gotten a total of about 20-25 miles on no bars and 30-35 miles with the fuel light on at my average mpg of 43. I am used to cars having a lot more reserve than that so I'm glad I didn't push it.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:06 AM
HCH Enthusist
Default Re: I ran out of fuel today! - couple hints / suggestions

If you plan seeing how many miles you can go on a tank of gas my recommendation is this : buy a 1 gallon fuel can and put it in your trunk. that way when you fuel tank expires you can pop out and refill it. I always keep a gallon or 2 of spare fuel in the trunk. The MIL light will reset when you refill the tank and resart the engine it varies on how long it takes though. i have about 69k miles on my car and i have only done this once by accident. I drove about 3 miles on IMA alone but it was pretty fat ground. when the LAST bar of your fuel tank disappears i figure i have about 40 - 50 miles of gas left (relativly flat ground - some small hills) and i start gauging where i am gonna fill for gas. The maximum distance i have traveled with no bars of fuel is 85 - 90 miles.

GL

Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default My fuel guage matches yours.

Yesterday I paniced after reading this thread and filled up right after my last fuel bar disappeared. 10.583 gal to the first click.

Seems like there is some calibration variation in these cars so everyone needs to do their own test.

I don't know if I will buy a one gal can to test calibrate my empty to first click value, but curiosity will probably get the better of me.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

Thanks for the info on running out Ryan- good to know it will run on electric for a short while - though I hope I never have to use it.

In reference to some other posts here on amount left in bottom of tank: I have a 11.9 (by the manual) pzev tank. I have several times filled at 2 bars left with 10 gallons. filled once with 1 bar left with 10.5 gallons. And drove it once 58 miles (running a 60mpg average) past all bars off to fill it with 11.53 gallons. close! I usually fill at 2 bars- I was trying for a record tank that one time.
I figure I have about a gallon left after the last bar goes out and that leaves me- depending on my current mileage and conditions- with between 50-60 miles till empty. I fill to first click off at the tank- so I'm not using the filler neck.
KLC

Old 08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Never let it go below 2 bars, most I've ever put in was 11.61 gallons. Typical refill is somewhere between 10.5 and 11.2. I saw the warning in the owners manual about not running out of gas, so I never play it that close. I hit over 500 miles on a tank and start looking.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I still have 250 miles after two bars, I know the manual warns not to run out of gas, but I cant imagine that it is bad to run your tank empty.

UPDATE: My check engine light is back off today.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I hate to be a party pooper but I strongly caution against carrying a can of gas with you. I had always heard that it's dangerous and thought it was no big deal, but then a friend of mine was badly burned (40% of his body) after having a minor traffic accident because he was carrying a can of gas. His life is now changed forever. Unprotected unrestrained and unarmored, a gas can becomes dangerous cargo in even a minor accident. Please think twice, it's not worth it. Get AAA and leave the gas at home.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with zimbop, when I read that I thought it was a poor idea. I do carry an empty 1.5 gallon fuel container so that when my dumbass runs out of fuel I can walk to the gas station and fill er up. This keeps me from having to give my CC to the guy behind the counter so that i can use their oil saturated nasty loner can. Its also nice because as you walk 3 miles to the nearest station, you can think about what you have done and next time you will fill up sooner.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've read that in terms of explosive power 1 gal. of gas = 1 stick of dynamite. No way am I going to lug a stick of dynamite in my trunk!

For the record, the most I've put into the tank on a fillup (topped off) is 14.3 gal.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

They *used* to make a stabilized fuel in a sealed quart bottle that I used to carry in my trunk and was good for years. Safe, but expensive (about $10 a quart), but it might get you to the station. I have not seen it lately......

Last edited by BillR; 01-05-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: I ran out of fuel today!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands