Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ima battery replacement

It would be new if Dealer replaced! H

Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just speculating: it might be just new cells. I've heard there is a "core charge" if you want to keep your old IMA battery when getting it replaced. So maybe the chassis of the battery, with all the electronics and ventilation, etcetera, get's reused, and only the battery cells are new?

Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

It must be the whole battery that was replaced. Most car parts are replaced as a whole part these days. For example when my the outside of my tail light was cracked, they replaced the entire tail light, not just the casing.
I imagine you will get seven years out of the new battery. I think the prices are coming down.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

I very much appreciate your replies. My reasons for being suspicious:
I read somewhere that Panasonic made the original batteries and is no longer producing them
Honda dealer told me they are going to discontinue all hybrids but the new Insight and concentrate on CNG
Honda will warrantee the new battery for 1 year, 10,000 miles
The guy on Long Island who reconditions them, the article telling you how to recondition it yourself

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM

It must be the whole battery that was replaced. Most car parts are replaced as a whole part these days. For example when my the outside of my tail light was cracked, they replaced the entire tail light, not just the casing.
I'm sure the "whole" battery pack is replaced, but that doesn't preclude the possibility the pack was replaced with a rebuilt or reconditioned pack as compared to a brand new "out of the box" pack.

And of course even if it was a rebuilt pack, as long as it was rebuilt to Honda specs it should be as good as new.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

I feel like I've been very lucky. I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with 215,000 miles. And now I need a new IMA battery. And I don't like the $3000+ price the dealer is quoting. I saw the hybrid-battery-repair website, and it looks like I can save about $1000 going that route. Has anyone gone down this path before? What watchouts do I need to be looking for?

THANKS!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all, I have a 2000 Insight and have had the IMA battery replaced about 2 years ago. I had the two IMA computers replaced in July with used parts and the IMA and check engine light went out. What I noticed immediately afterwards was that the battery indicator went from virtually nothing to completely charged in almost no time and would stay in the high range. About a month or so ago, I noticed that randomly, when the car was in autostop mode, the engine would die and I'd have to restart the car. I spend a LOT of time in stop and go (seeming mostly stopped) traffic, but am stopped for only a few seconds before having to creep to my next stop. Two weeks ago, the IMA light went on, but apparently the only code being thrown is to replace the catalytic converter. No IMA codes are present. I took it to the dealer who replaced the IMA battery and they couldn't get any codes either (other than the CAT). I have no idea if the computers I bought had newer firmware, but based on the hour to two I've spent here today, I have to image they are newer ones. The dealer says that since there's no code, the only thing they can recommend is to replace the computers since they cost less than the IMA battery. I have no idea if the fan is working - I have never heard it and I'm wondering if the fan not working is my real problem. I found two used computers that have the updated code and suspect I need to buy them, but am wondering if I should get the fan too. Anyone have any thoughts, words of wisdom, etc? Thanks.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Think green.

bdbinatl,

I don't have an answer to your question, but you might want to check out the Insight forums at a couple other websites; they might have some info that would help you make a decision.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58