ima battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ima battery replacement

Originally Posted by Crosbygirl
Just a quick note. I pursued Honda and finally spoke with someone above the person that I originally spoke to. American Honda called me and gave me a much better offer. I now can get my car fixed for less than $1000.00 my cost. A big step from the $3000.00 originally quoted. Apparently, just as others have said don't give up.
I don't know if you are under warranty, but if you are, personally i would not pay a dime. if you have the same issue that everyone in this post is talking about, there is something defective with the car, whether it be the motor or the battery or whatever. Honda needs to fix it.
Someone here mentioned the fact if it was transmission or the motor they would fix it, but because its the battery they ignore it and say its normal, which it is not.
I took my wife's car in(not hybrid) and said it had no power and the gas mileage is way off and they fixed it(sounds familiar huh?). It was a bad controller and some other electronics part, but they fixed it under warranty. So What is the difference here?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheezmo1
Smurf,
I also live in Arizona and have the same issue. 2007 HCHII with 48k miles. I live in Chandler, can you please tell me what dealership you went to?
Mine gets worse every week. It started a few months back. I am used to getting 48 to 54 mpg, and now get 33 to 40 mpg. I would get 35 mpg for a tank, but my last 5 miles is a 45 mph drive that makes up for some bad milage. With about 5 to 7 bars at the beginning of the drive, in a few minutes I might have 3 or 4 bars but will have no assist and no power and almost got rear ended on the freeway trying to merge.
I am busy this week but next week I am going to take it in. I will tell everyone how it goes. Thanks to this forum, I know now its not just me but the car.
Smurf and cheezmo1,
We are in AZ too and are at 66K in our 2007 HCH and have had the same issues with our battery. Dealership won't do anything since there are no codes and we MPG has dropped exactly like yours. Can either of you PM me your dealerships? When the IMA light came on, they "updated the car's computer at no charge"...same song different verse.

Thanks,
T in AZ

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does someone know a battery capacity threshold for car's computer to set battery deterioration code?
Is it 10% or less?
Does government mandate it for a manufacturer?
If it set too low then you will see your symptoms with no code set.
Because if the battery capacity drops to low then our hybrids essentially become regular cars with additional battery weight.
When I asked this question to the dealer they forwarded me to Honda corporate.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

I took mine in last week to SanTan Honda (hope i dont get in trouble here), and they looked at it, never drove it. Updated with 3 "flashes", something like trans, IMA and computer. Of course they found no error codes. They had excuses like well you dont have oem tires, its hot, blah blah blah. Like i dont know how my car drives for the last 3 years???

Now it doesn't go into auto-stop as much, shifts smoother, and kills the ac when in high rpms. But it still drains the battery everytime it sits for an hour or more. So basically getting 35mpg instead of 50mpg. I have recorded video of the issue. I even caught the car reporting no hybrid battery charge and still give boost somehow...?!@ Nice!!!
Tomorrow I take it in.

I have never seen an IMA light on mine though. I keep asking the dealer since the car records how I drive, why doesnt it show the battery level dropping and me not having any power? They cant answer that.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Just got back from dealer. They found nothing wrong, so they cant do anything, and Honda won't let them replace the battery. Of course I raised my voice that i have no power, poor gas mileage, and the engine is going to blow up from high rpms. I asked for the Honda number and left.
I called Honda and they have forwarded my concern to the southwest regional manager. That person is supposed to call me in two days.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

OMG. I am so happy to find this thread. I am just about to hit 100k (2007 HCH II) and my IMA battery has been exhibiting these same symptoms for the past month or so. I though I was imagining it, or it was the heat (which does seem to make the problem worse). No light has ever come on but the charge drops rapidly (every time I drive); acceleration is sluggish when I lose the bars; I completely lost ALL bars once (which was kind of scary); MPG has dropped dramatically, and even after it recharges it doesn't hold the charge well. Called the dealer this a.m. to set up an app't. They told me the battery for the 2007 HCH has a 10 year/150K warranty in CA - phew (because by the time I drove to the dealer today I would probably be at 100,005. Thank you all! Wish me luck with my dealer!

Last edited by kpalmal; 07-01-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: ima battery replacement

I just did this. I was at 79,806 so I just made the 80k warranty. My IMA and engine light went on while I was drivivg. When I stop and turned off the car I checked the gas cap becuase a loose gas cap can set off the engine light. When I started the car again the IMA light didnt come on but the engine light did. I took it in to be on the safe side. Glad I did. It wouldve cost me around $2500 with out the warranty.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've been having very similar issues... i DID get honda to replace the battery last year with about 60k miles but there was no difference in performance. Problem seems to stem from the software update that was done maybe 6 months prior to that. Very variable reading from the IMA (full to 2-3 bars over the course of a few miles), little to no assist on uphills. I asked the dealer to go back to the older version of software but they won't allow that. Is Honda going to address any of these issues?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cityscapex5
I've been having very similar issues... i DID get honda to replace the battery last year with about 60k miles but there was no difference in performance. Problem seems to stem from the software update that was done maybe 6 months prior to that. Very variable reading from the IMA (full to 2-3 bars over the course of a few miles), little to no assist on uphills. I asked the dealer to go back to the older version of software but they won't allow that. Is Honda going to address any of these issues?
Same symptoms (Very variable reading from the IMA (full to 2-3 bars over the course of a few miles), little to no assist on uphills.) although different hybrid (HAH). I wonder why Honda made such change in software?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

My IMA battery light came on last week. My problems started about 1 to 2 years ago. I would leave my car in the parking lot and return and the IMA battery was drained. That would happen maybe 1-2 a month for about a year. Later, during the summer months it would drain to 0 bars when driving and recharge itself back up. Finally, during this summer heat wave (100+ degrees) the IMA battery light came on. I drove it still for another 70 or so miles and took it to dealership. Its past its warranty and has 101,000 miles on it. The dealership spent a couple days trying new parts on it to see if it was something else but it ended up that the IMA needs replacement. The dealership told me $3,500 plus tax. I decided to research around. I called other dealerships and that was about the right ballpark figure. I researched some third party companies that specialize in you sending them your IMA battery and they will recondition it. The costs were around $1700, which included the shipping. I asked the dealership, did you call Honda and ask if they could give some goodwill on this IMA replacement. They did not, so I told them to CALL!!! I got a call back and Honda did offer some goodwill to me and I was able to ge the price to $2,000 for the repair. Since the price difference was only $300, I opted to have my honda dealership repair it. At least I have a longer warranty and it will be repaired much quicker. So always make sure that you tell your dealership to ask for some goodwill toward your battery if you need a new one. Doesn't hurt to ask and you might get lucky and get it for free or discounted somewhat. Keeping my fingers crossed now, so I hope no other major problems with my 2006 HCH.

Quick Reply: ima battery replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands