Installing used AC compressor. Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Installing used AC compressor. Oil?

I am in the process of installing a used AC compressor in my 2007 Honda civic hybrid. I am aware there needs to be a certain level of specific oil in the compressor, but unlike a lot of AC compressors, there is no drain plug on this model.

how do I drain, check, or replace the oil that is in this compressor? I've checked it electrically and shimmed it properly on the clutch using instructions from the service manual. But I can't figure out how to remove or put oil in it and do not want to roll the dice after all this work.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing used AC compressor. In Hell.

Originally Posted by sonofray
I am in the process of installing a used AC compressor in my 2007 Honda civic hybrid. I am aware there needs to be a certain level of specific oil in the compressor, but unlike a lot of AC compressors, there is no drain plug on this model.

How do I drain, check, or replace the oil that is in this compressor? I've checked it electrically and shimmed it properly on the clutch using instructions from the service manual. But I can't figure out how to remove or put oil in it and do not want to roll the dice after all this work.
UPDATE!

Some useful stuff I’ve found regarding my issue:
  • Removing/adding oil in an AC compressor manually (without available drain plugs) HERE
  • info on oil capacities from the Honda service manual:
  • My man ChrisFix on YouTube with an incredible AC recharge tutorial that includes adding oil if needed
New/used compressor is installed, now, but still doesn't work. (same symptoms - compressor clutch not engaging, no cool air, no engine fans at all)
(Also have a ton of new trouble codes, and I'm not sure how many are just from me shutting everythign down - inlcuding IMA - and then firing it back up).

I hate this car!