Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought civic IMA 2004 having problems

I dont think they changed the fuel filter but somehow auto stop is not giving me any issues, maybe it needs more testing to know if its actually working now.

As for AC, I dont know...just don't want to spend anymore money on it at this time, AC works fine its just the noise, when I turn the AC on the noise goes away. I'll have to show it to the dealer and they are going to charge me alot...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That is weird!!! H

Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Enthusiast

Today I drove to London and back total about 168 miles including some of local traffic and car didn't start from auto stop 2 times out of let's say 50. Is that normal or should I get it checked?

Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 AM

...and car didn't start from auto stop 2 times out of let's say 50. Is that normal or should I get it checked?
How exactly do you stop and start? Can you explain exactly what you are doing?

For instance when I'm coming to a stop light I will first roll up to the light in gear so as to get as much regen as possible and then push the clutch in and pop the car in neutral. The car auto stops at about 7 MPH (green auto light on solid with clutch in) and after I come to a complete stop I usually let the clutch out with the car auto stopped and in neutral (green auto stop light will flash). The auto stop light should be the only light illuminated.

When I see the light is about to change I push the clutch in and pop the car in first. The car should start and the auto stop light go out. If my car doesn't start it's at this point that I quickly mash the clutch a little harder and sometimes shift to neutral and back to first. The car has always started back up. At some point I will stop being lazy and adjust the clutch switch out a bit. I NEVER have to turn the key off and on.

Can you give a description like this of exactly what you do when stopping and starting? I think it would help.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

Yes that's exactly how I do it. When the car is in auto stop with green light then when I push the clutch and put it in first gear sometimes the car doesn't start back. I'll try your technique and push the clutch a bit harder and then see if that solves the issue.

Do I need to show it to a garage to see if clutch is good?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

I went to London today again done about 170 miles and it worked perfectly fine even with ac on.

Also I got 61.9 mpg including some start stop local London traffic wow for an old car that's great.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM

As for the auto-stop problem I have the manual transmission and I had a similar problem and I discovered by accident it was the clutch switch. If it doesn't start I find if I just mash a little harder on the clutch pedal it starts back up.
I finally got around to checking the clutch switch. Sure enough I adjusted it a bit and I no longer have to mash the pedal to get it to start.

There are two switches by the clutch pedal. The lower one toggles as soon as the pedal is pushed and the upper one toggles when the pedal is all the way in.

I've noticed the cruise control disengages if I just brush the clutch pedal so I figured that's the lower switch. I adjusted the upper switch and now it engages much sooner than it did before.

The switch body just screws into a bracket above the pedal lever and is locked with a jam nut. I removed the cover to the left of and below the fuse box, loosened the nut (used a small adjustable wrench), turned the body a complete turn and locked it back down. I probably could have gotten away with a half turn but just left it the way it was. I'm kinda disgusted with myself I didn't do this a year ago.

Oh well, just thought I'd follow up on this...

Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason32
Yes that's exactly how I do it. When the car is in auto stop with green light then when I push the clutch and put it in first gear sometimes the car doesn't start back. I'll try your technique and push the clutch a bit harder and then see if that solves the issue.

Do I need to show it to a garage to see if clutch is good?
Is the green light flashing? If it is flashing, it won't come out of auto-stop because the clutch isn't pushed in all the way.

I take advantage of this. I pop it in neutral, have it go to auto-stop, then release the clutch until the green light flashes, and then put it in first gear. Car stays in auto-stop. When light changes, I push clutch all the way in, car starts, and I'm good to go real quick like.