Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Just installed new Navi, Backup Cam, and Bluetooth!!! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/just-installed-new-navi-backup-cam-bluetooth-6660/)

EKL 04-04-2006 11:15 AM

Just installed new Navi, Backup Cam, and Bluetooth!!!

https://www.meguiarsonline.com/galle...icture_012.jpg

https://www.meguiarsonline.com/galle...icture_011.jpg

https://www.meguiarsonline.com/galle...icture_003.jpg

https://www.meguiarsonline.com/galle...icture_008.jpg

HCHinKY 04-04-2006 11:45 AM

Re: Just installed new Navi, Backup Cam, and Bluetooth!!!

Eric,

Great pics. How much did the equipment/work cost?

EKL 04-04-2006 12:14 PM

Pioneer AVIC-D2 Multimedia AV Navigation, Pioneer Rear View Camera, PAC Streeing Wheel Interface, Antenna Adapter, Matra Double DIN Mounting Kit for 2006 Civic, and Parrot 3200 LS Bluetooth + Installations = about $2,200

$700 more than the dealer want for Navi only...and don't have to wait 4 ever!!!

Next week... getting 2 tone leather seats.

I guess I am making a package 8 for my the Civic Hybrid!

Originally Posted by HCHinKY
Eric,

Great pics. How much did the equipment/work cost?

inFiniTE LooP 04-04-2006 12:53 PM

wow, so your steering wheel controls still work and you had the factory radio in initially? i thought the dash was completely different for nav and non-nav? also, how's that parrot bluetooth? i was thinking of picking up that same one :)

EKL 04-04-2006 01:06 PM

Tell you the ture, I like the Parrot more than the Navi!!!

The new mounting kit replaced part of the dash therefore I can install the new double DIN Navi System.

https://www.meguiarsonline.com/galle...500/2862BT.jpg

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
wow, so your steering wheel controls still work and you had the factory radio in initially? i thought the dash was completely different for nav and non-nav? also, how's that parrot bluetooth? i was thinking of picking up that same one :)

inFiniTE LooP 04-04-2006 01:28 PM

that's awesome, just one more question, is the bluetooth hooked into your stereo or does it use a separate speaker?

EKL 04-04-2006 01:34 PM

It hooked into my audio/navi unit, so if any call come in it will mute the audio. It also used the audio's speakers.

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
that's awesome, just one more question, is the bluetooth hooked into your stereo or does it use a separate speaker?

inFiniTE LooP 04-04-2006 01:38 PM

my god that's awesome, huge props man, i'm officially 200% jealous :omg: !

mexiken 04-04-2006 02:07 PM

Is the NAV voice activated ????

EKL 04-04-2006 02:30 PM

No, but it can do lives XM NavTraffic.

You can check out the following website:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...585964,00.html

Originally Posted by mexiken
Is the NAV voice activated ????

Renato 04-04-2006 04:01 PM

Nice looking install....very stock looking, fantastic!! Congrats.

masgian 04-04-2006 06:02 PM

was this original Navi or Non-Navi HCH?

Who did the install? youreself?

Wangofree 04-04-2006 07:28 PM

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

TOO MUCH!!!! Have fun with your new toys!

EKL 04-04-2006 08:25 PM

My was non-Navi HCH. The following is the new Navi Mounting kit:

http://www.installer.com/photos/99-7871.jpg

Originally Posted by masgian
was this original Navi or Non-Navi HCH?

Who did the install? youreself?

AZMerf 04-04-2006 09:43 PM

That is amazing. I almost wish I knew this before I got the Nav. I wish the Civic had Bluetooth. Is the Bluetooth and add-on besides the Nav or is it part of the Nav system?

EKL 04-05-2006 08:11 AM

Bluetooth was add-on. You can check out at: http://www.parrot.biz/guide_chm/3200LS/index.html

Originally Posted by AZMerf
That is amazing. I almost wish I knew this before I got the Nav. I wish the Civic had Bluetooth. Is the Bluetooth and add-on besides the Nav or is it part of the Nav system?

masgian 04-05-2006 02:34 PM

quick question... who installs this setup to my nonNavi HCH and at what price?

kenny 04-05-2006 02:42 PM

You actually changed out your dash board panel?

Did this work void your warranty?

TI71 04-05-2006 05:30 PM

Sweet! If I didn't know better I'da thought it came from the factory like that.
Nice work, no wires sticking out or anything!

wstiefer 04-14-2006 07:40 AM

Do your steering wheel mounted audio controls still work?

I am in the middle of collecting parts for a similar project and will definitely keep everyone updated with information and pictures once I begin installation.

wstiefer 04-14-2006 07:41 AM

Where did they mount the Navi antenna?

Also, does it get good reception in this location?

wstiefer 04-14-2006 07:47 AM

A few tips for anyone thinking about untaking a project like this:

1. Metra will soon have a gunmetal colored dash kit to match a Civic with tan interior

2. No wiring harness is available at this time which means cutting/splicing is necessary to install an aftermarket unit. Metra will soon have the proper wiring harness as well.

3. There are gunmetal colored dash kits on Ebay by 2 different sellers. While these kits match color perfectly, no brackets are included, making it difficult to install some units (such as the Pioneer AVIC-D2 shown in this thread).

I am collecting all necessary parts at this time, but am waiting to start on the installation until such time the proper wire harness is available. I will keep everyone up to date with helpful details and pictures as I have them.

EKL 04-14-2006 09:10 AM

The Navi antenna is located above the rear view mirror (inside the front windshield). You can't see it if you are not looking for it. The reception is Great! :)

Originally Posted by wstiefer
Where did they mount the Navi antenna?

Also, does it get good reception in this location?

wstiefer 04-14-2006 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by EKL
The Navi antenna is located above the rear view mirror (inside the front windshield). You can't see it if you are not looking for it. The reception is Great! :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, what did you do with the original stereo? I was thinking about trying to sell mine on Ebay.

EKL 04-14-2006 09:24 AM

1. I used the Metra dash kit. The quality is OK not 100% perfect.
2. I have the professional install the system without the wiring harness but there are antenna kit and streeting wheel control kit (PAC Audio) for my Pioneer unit.
3. If you want to do it yourself, you can check out the follow link: http://www.installer.com

But if you are not 100% sure... find a professional that know what he is doing on your $25,000 investment!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...M_DSC_0023.JPG

A few tips for anyone thinking about untaking a project like this:

1. Metra will soon have a gunmetal colored dash kit to match a Civic with tan interior

2. No wiring harness is available at this time which means cutting/splicing is necessary to install an aftermarket unit. Metra will soon have the proper wiring harness as well.

3. There are gunmetal colored dash kits on Ebay by 2 different sellers. While these kits match color perfectly, no brackets are included, making it difficult to install some units (such as the Pioneer AVIC-D2 shown in this thread).

I am collecting all necessary parts at this time, but am waiting to start on the installation until such time the proper wire harness is available. I will keep everyone up to date with helpful details and pictures as I have them.

EKL 04-14-2006 09:27 AM

I still have my original radio/CD and dash. I am going to keep it, just in case I may sell my car after 2008 (no more car pool sticker).

Check out the following link for Steering wheel controls: http://www.pac-audio.com/default.asp

Good Luck!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, what did you do with the original stereo? I was thinking about trying to sell mine on Ebay.

Utah 04-15-2006 02:34 AM

Very sick... Question about the Parrot. I was strongly considering that same model. I had a bluetooth kit in my last vehicle and loved it. I don't know anyone who has used the Parrots though. I've read good reviews on them, but what is your opinion on it? How is reception? Any feedback? Can people your talking to tell your on a handsfree device? Do the people your talking to ever hear their own voice as an echo (That was an occasional problem with my old system)? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

EKL 04-15-2006 11:43 AM

The Parrot LS3200 is great...no problem what so ever. People on the other end can't tell I am using the Parrots or bluetooth headset, it does have echo cancellation and full duplex. When I have call coming in the Parrot automatically mute my radio/CD audio. The little color screen is great, I can use the phonebook or dial the number from it and it also display call ID, missed calls, etc... The system works fine with my Nokia 8801 and Motorola V3 (no problem with the voice recognition). The reception for the bluetooth is perfect inside the car. The only problem I had with the system is sometime it does take about 5-20 sec for it to sync with my phone. I hope the information is helpful. I am buying one more Parrot 3200 for my other car.

Originally Posted by Utah
Very sick... Question about the Parrot. I was strongly considering that same model. I had a bluetooth kit in my last vehicle and loved it. I don't know anyone who has used the Parrots though. I've read good reviews on them, but what is your opinion on it? How is reception? Any feedback? Can people your talking to tell your on a handsfree device? Do the people your talking to ever hear their own voice as an echo (That was an occasional problem with my old system)? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

Utah 04-15-2006 02:13 PM

Nokia 8801, what a baller. Don't see too many of those around, haha... Have you seen the Nokia N90 yet? I really like all the features of it, but its a tad too bulky for everyday use for me... And thank you for your review of the parrot, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm sure I'll be placing my order shortly for it. Did your installer give you a break down of the installation prices? Just curious what to expect for installation to ensure I'm not getting ripped off on mine...

EKL 04-15-2006 02:58 PM

You're right the N90 have lot of features but just too bulky. I just wanted a good looking cell phone without all the features that I don't use, that why I got the 8801. Anyway, installation for the bluetooth was $80, $50 for Steering Wheel Control, $50 for backup cams, and about $150 for the Navi with the mounting kit. Total hardware + installation about $2200. I can save about $200 if I buy the items from eBay but what if something not work?!? My advise, find a shop that knows what they're doing and able to give you a 1 year warranty on installation + hardware.

Originally Posted by Utah
Nokia 8801, what a baller. Don't see too many of those around, haha... Have you seen the Nokia N90 yet? I really like all the features of it, but its a tad too bulky for everyday use for me... And thank you for your review of the parrot, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm sure I'll be placing my order shortly for it. Did your installer give you a break down of the installation prices? Just curious what to expect for installation to ensure I'm not getting ripped off on mine...

infinkc 04-23-2006 09:31 PM

have a question for you, does your nav freeze at speeds above 75mph? i have an pioneer also and for some reason when my hybrid hits 75 the nav locks up. Im just trying to figure out if its something the hybrid does at 75 or if the unit itself has a problem.

EKL 04-23-2006 09:40 PM

No, so far so good.

Originally Posted by infinkc
have a question for you, does your nav freeze at speeds above 75mph? i have an pioneer also and for some reason when my hybrid hits 75 the nav locks up. Im just trying to figure out if its something the hybrid does at 75 or if the unit itself has a problem.

Artoodetoo 04-24-2006 11:25 PM

Hey Raymond (Infinite Loop),

Do you know if Hawaii will allow, by law, front displays like the Parrot or the Pioneer? I would've loved to get the Navi if it was available in Hawaii.

inFiniTE LooP 04-24-2006 11:51 PM

to my knowledge, front displays are allowed by law, as long as they are not playing video while in motion. (my head unit plays dvd video while in motion and cops have driven by me while it was on and i haven't had anything happen yet, however, i've been told that some cops will pull you over if they can see it)

deerock@earthlink.net 04-26-2006 11:56 PM

ah...like the leather seats idea!

shawnb 05-02-2006 10:01 AM

Interesting. I have a few questions:

1) How does this affect your warranty?

2) How well integrated into the Civic is it regarding climate control, XM Radio, steering wheel radio controls, monitoring the speed and other statistics they advertise from their website?

Depending on the answers, I might change my order to the non NAVI hybrid and just get this instead.

Thanks,
Shawn

EKL 05-02-2006 10:45 AM

Answers of your questions:

Warranty: Now, I have only 1 year warranty on my Pioneer Navi System. The rest of HCH should be same.

Nothing change on the climate control, I didn't purchase the XM option, no problem with steering wheel control with the PAC-Audio option (somewhere in this thread), monitoring speed etc... works fine but never use it. (too much information).

I waited the Navi HCH for too long so I bought the non-navi version and put in my own system. The Pioneer Navi (D2) is great but the audio quality is just OK. I am in the process of replacing all the speakers with new amp.

If you want better audio you should check out the Eclipse AVN5495, the Pioneer Z1 is nice but I think is over price for a Pioneer!

Originally Posted by shawnb
Interesting. I have a few questions:

1) How does this affect your warranty?

2) How well integrated into the Civic is it regarding climate control, XM Radio, steering wheel radio controls, monitoring the speed and other statistics they advertise from their website?

Depending on the answers, I might change my order to the non NAVI hybrid and just get this instead.

Thanks,
Shawn

shawnb 05-02-2006 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by EKL
Answers of your questions:
If you want better audio you should check out the Eclipse AVN5495, the Pioneer Z1 is nice but I think is over price for a Pioneer!

This is good news about the warranty. I'll just change my order now to the non Navigation hybrid. I'm not an audiophile. To be honest, in the 6 years I had my truck I almost never have the radio on, its too distracting. For long trips I'll listen to audiobooks but that's about it. So I'm not concerned about sound. The decision is purely navigation and I really like the Z1 but I'm not terribly aware of other options, I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm glad this connects properly to the features of the car itself, too.

[Edit 1] I found the Z1 for $1649. http://www.hypeaudio.net/item.aspx?pid=99050

Thanks,
Shawn

shawnb 05-02-2006 02:04 PM

I just spoke with a Honda technician about how installing 3rd party navigation systems affect the warranty. They said that it doesn't necessarily "void" the warranty (on the electrical system) but if they mess something up during the installation than the Honda warranty won't cover it. They said that if the place is reputable that does the installation then there's little to worry about as far as he can tell.

When I look on the Pioneer dealer site it shows a list of places, I assume there would be places that are "reputable" and know what they're doing. Does anyone (ELK) have any experience with other installers and their quality of work (in the southern california area)?

It appears that the Z1 supports all the functionality that the Honda NAVI supports and augments it with mroe features that I'm interested in. As long as it at least supports the Honda features then I'm okay with it including deep integration with the environmental controls and radio and stuff.

Thanks,
Shawn

sixpak 06-07-2006 01:28 PM

EKL (Eric).

The back up cam looks great too. Did you post the cost was only $50.00? I wonder if there is a way to use it on the stock Navi?

Has anyone integrated their Stock Navi unit with a back up camera? Our Acura MDX had it standard and we miss it on the HCHII.
I tried a search but didn't catch anything other than this and infinite loop's thread but both are using aftermarket Navi's.

Thanks,

Matt