Low fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Low fuel economy

That reset Trip A solution worked wonderfully. Everyone should do that when they first get their HCH. Suddenly I jumped from like 32mpg to 45mpg. I can't wait until after my first oil change and the break-in period. Then I can start averaging around 50. And more highway driving in place of city driving would help too, but not much I can do to change that.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niteflyp38
I can't wait until after my first oil change and the break-in period.
I'm at almost 7,300 miles and I still have 20-30% of Oil Life... I'm biting at the bit to get the first oil change done and see if my mpg will get better than my 51mpg average! I've already got everything to do it myself. Of course it's starting to cool down here a little so I think any gains will be offset by the cooler weather.

And more highway driving in place of city driving would help too, but not much I can do to change that.
I actually get worse mileage on the freeway than in the city. I actually try to take backroads where speed limit is 35-45 because I can get in EV-Assist more often. Maybe my freeway mileage goes down because I'm usually in the car with my wife and/or daughter and have the A/C on most of the time with them... so the extra weight and load from the A/C are factoring into the mpg. I just went to San Francisco and back (210 mile RT) and got 48mpg. I never noticed all the hills from Sac to SF on I-80 until I got the HCHII. There are a lot that have 150-300ft climbs, and the short drops don't make up for the climb time! When I go up to Auburn from Sac it's a lot different - ~1,100 ft climb over 12-15 miles to Auburn, and an 1,100 ft descent coming back that I can coast all the way (and fully recharge the SoC)! The difference is a net gain of 1 to 2mpg depending on where I'm at on my tank trip.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Think green.

That reset Trip A solution worked wonderfully. Everyone should do that when they first get their HCH. Suddenly I jumped from like 32mpg to 45mpg. I can't wait until after my first oil change and the break-in period. Then I can start averaging around 50. And more highway driving in place of city driving would help too, but not much I can do to change that.
I'm glad that was the solution to the problem. I haven't gone back to doing the trip meter setting since I got my car in June. I've been calculating the mpg's manually for each tank. I have to sit down with the manual and get a better understanding of how to use the trip meter.
Good luck with your new car.