My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Excited Enthusiast
Default Re: My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Thank you for this thread.

My 2005 HCH just had a blowout on the OEM Dunlops at over 40K miles and I need to go out and buy tires this weekend.

Will be looking at what DT offers, maybe what DTB has to offer...here in Houston. Will try to report back with my findings.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

what i find interesting, steve, is that from the manufacturer my 03 hch came with some incredible Bridgestone tires and I had amazing gas mileage and when they were gone at 48K, I replaced them with Bf Goodrich Momentum. Now I only get in the high 40s instead of the mid 50s, low 60s mpg. Everyone I have read said their car came with Dunlops...mine never did.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Excited Enthusiast

After searching DT, NTB and Tire Rack, Sumitomo HTR T4 seems a good choice, if I can get them here soon. Might buy a used tire to get by for a few days.

Anyone with a clear opinion on the Sumitomos?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I replaced my Dunlops with the KUMHO Solus KR21. i put 2.5K miles on them and so far extreamly good. no change in milage that i notice and much quieter than the stock dunlop's. i recomend them. i had the KUMHO Venture's on my ford ranger and put 75K highway miles still had a whole lotta tread when i sold the ranger. i am sold on the kumho's. great tire for a good price

Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I;m really disappointed now. After about 20k miles on the michelin's I am getting much worse mileage than I used to. Perhaps something else has changed (can't think of what it might be) but I have trouble consistently getting tanks over 40 anymore. I think the Destiny cost me about 10% overall now.

This month consumer reports talks about getting LLR tires but of course don't tell you which ones they are. Not having access to good information on that criterion is really starting to anger me. In this day and age it should be readily available.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Excited Enthusiast

Zimbop
Thanks for the info on the Harmony/Destiny, although I know it does not help you to feel better about your purchase, I think I will be avoiding these tires.
And the discussion here has been very helpful.
I ended up buying a used tire to get by on for a while until I can make my final selection. Nobody seems to have LRR inventory in Houston, so I need to shop around or go for Tire Rack at a distance.
As an enthusiatic hybrid driver, I have empathy for your situation. Dang if those tires don't cost alot and last a long time as well. But I think I am going for a crap shoot as well.....

Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Steve
The Sumitomo's are a good choice! Alot of of our members are using these tires and have all but good to say about them.H

Old 05-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Steve
The Sumitomo's are a good choice! Alot of of our members are using these tires and have all but good to say about them.H
I was very tempted to buy these except for the reports that they suck in the snow. We don't get a lot but enough to consider it important.