Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes

Hi All,

there have been a lot of talk about the best name to describe the new HCH "glide" modes. Here is a short list of what is currently out there to describe it:

- Zero Fuel Consumption Glide (with regen, without regen and with assist)
- Assisted Glide, Neutral Glide, Regenerative Glide

Any other suggestions? Once a short list is compiled, we can vote on it!

Thanks,
Stephane.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi All:

Regen is Regen as all hybrid’s are in Fuel cut at that point.
??? The HAH (and HCH1 & Insight?) are definitely not fuel-off during coasting regen. Reduced # cylinders, maybe (HAH). Fuel off/valves sealed, no.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by gonavy
??? The HAH (and HCH1 & Insight?) are definitely not fuel-off during coasting regen. Reduced # cylinders, maybe (HAH). Fuel off/valves sealed, no.
Yes, this is true of the HCH II as well; it can and does regenerate even as gas is being burned.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 AM

I meant coasting regen- foot off gas but not on brake, where (I believe?) the HCHII and HSD/Fords are in fuel cut. I think that's what Wayne was referrring to?

You can always force regen, of course.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

The last couple of days I've been wondering if there is another mode. I've noticed that sometimes I can keep my foot lightly on the accelerator and not have regen or assist, but the FE meter is NOT pegged @ 100+, it hovers between 65~85 and I seem to be able to maintain speed reasonably well. This would seem to indicate that the ICE is on because the FE is not infinite, but maybe in some cylinder deactivation / lean burn mode? Or maybe its just a display anomaly / transitional state.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalMan
The last couple of days I've been wondering if there is another mode. I've noticed that sometimes I can keep my foot lightly on the accelerator and not have regen or assist, but the FE meter is NOT pegged @ 100+, it hovers between 65~85 and I seem to be able to maintain speed reasonably well. This would seem to indicate that the ICE is on because the FE is not infinite, but maybe in some cylinder deactivation / lean burn mode? Or maybe its just a display anomaly / transitional state.
I've seen that too, and it seems to happen more often now than it did when I first got the car. I figure there are just some conditions where the ICE can run with high MPG numbers, maybe being helped by a very slight (imperceptible to the driver) decline? It's usually not a steady state condition, but I have seen it stabilize for 5-10 seconds at time.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi All,

yes, I have noticed this state also. For people in the metric system, it hovers in the 3-4l/100km zone and this for a short period of time. I also seem to be hitting this zone more often these last few days. However, this might also be attributed to the fact that I am trying to 'cruise' at 1k RPM as much as possible in the city.

Another interesting 'state'. Once the car gets moving and is at around 30 kilometers per hour (or 19MPH), go to 1kRPM and then, VERY slightly press the gas pedal. I seem to be able to accelerate without assist in this zone AND still get respectable fuel economy (i.e. 6l/100km or about 39MPG).

Cheers,
Stephane.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

I agree that recently I've been hitting this mode more often. Don't know if its weather or driver experience. At any rate, the HCHII's accelerator is a powerful tool - subtle movements have a relatively significant impact on the car's behavior.

Let's see if others notice this "mode," experiment with it a little more and see if its legit.

Last edited by DigitalMan; 12-22-2005 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-22-2005, 11:28 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands