Nav Nag Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Nav Nag Screen

I love my new 06 HCH... but there is one annoyance. Is there any way to get rid of the disclaimer screen on the Nav system? Every time you start up you've got to click the OK button on the screen. Certainly there must be some hidden hack to get rid of it! Any ideas???

Old 04-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav Nag Screen

I havent found one yet.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

I understand and agree with your annoyance on this.

However, you do not have to touch OK when you start.
Just wait about 15-20 seconds and it will change to your clock by default.

Regards,

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 AM

I found that out today... but if you want to get to the map, you do have to ultimately touch the screen. Somewhere there must be a creative person with a workaround for this! I did some hunting on the web yesterday, and found this complaint related to a BMW nav system, too. Someone found a hack to fix it, but didn't post what specifically they had to do. I'll continue to hunt and if I find something, I'll post it here.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm an engineering major with some programming experience, and I can tell you there is NOTHING SHORT of hooking a laptop to it and hacking it from there. Even then, you'd have to hack the firmware embedded in the various modules. Actually though, I just realized. The software is controlled by the DVD, so you'd have to hack the DVD. If you took it out and popped it into a comp, then looked at the source, you could rather easily do away with the lines of code, BUT then you'd have to make sure it runs correctly by re-burning the DVD, and popping it back in to the NAV unit. And thats ASSUMING that the DVD doesn't have some kind of locks on it to prevent you stealing the source (which I can easily get around with some programs that I have but most don't). Problem is, I don't have a DVD burner anyway, so while I could POTENTIALLY do it if I happened to know the programming language its written in (probably C or something I can easily pick up), I couldn't just take out the lines, and reburn it. If someone wants to do this though, let me know, and we can collaborate on it. I'd like to get rid of this too....

Last edited by mexiken; 04-12-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM

This isn't specific to the HCH. Both of the portable GPS units my husband and I use in our vehicles (we have separate units; different models, but both are made by Garmin) require user acceptance of a legal/disclaimer screen before any map display, routing or location lookups occur.

My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid's NAV system also requires user acceptance, though I haven't used it enough to remember at what point it asks for it. It has the added annoyance of not accepting routing changes/selections when the vehicle is in motion. Some FEH owners have resorted to cutting a wire that prevents the NAV system from knowing the vehicle is in motion (I guess no speed data = the assumption that the vehicle is in fact stopped), but if I recall rightly, this may also hinder some of the hybrid/energy flow data. Can't recall, and isn't really germane to this particular forum... sorry for the tangent.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mexiken
And thats ASSUMING that the DVD doesn't have some kind of locks on it to prevent you stealing the source (which I can easily get around with some programs that I have but most don't). Problem is, I don't have a DVD burner anyway, so while I could POTENTIALLY do it if I happened to know the programming language its written in (probably C or something I can easily pick up), I couldn't just take out the lines, and reburn it. If someone wants to do this though, let me know, and we can collaborate on it. I'd like to get rid of this too....
There is an Acura TL forum that my boss subscribes to (don't have the URL handy) where this has been discussed for quite some time. I don't think you are going to have much luck re-burning the DVD. I've heard of people using most of the popular available burning tools (DVD Decrypter, Alcohol 120, Nero, etc) to attempt to make a copy of the DVD. No luck, it appears to use a proprietary copy protection of some kind. I would think that IF it were something the average 'advanced' computer geek (I'm a Network Engineer by trade) could do, it would be done by now....but that said - I wouldn't mind getting rid of that pesky nag screen myself.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

I've been reading a lot about NAV system hacking lately and I think I know the thread(s) that Jim is referring to:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/show...&page=50&pp=25

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...5&page=5&pp=25

http://guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/

Also in one of the posts somebody mentions a hardware solution that automatically presses the OK button for you. (Though everything I've read indicates that you still have to wait for the loading screen to finish because critical information is loading in the background during that time.) :

http://www.kptechnologies.com/ (Would most definitely void your Nav/Audio system warranty, if not the whole electrical system)

Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mexiken
I'm an engineering major with some programming experience, and I can tell you there is NOTHING SHORT of hooking a laptop to it and hacking it from there. Even then, you'd have to hack the firmware embedded in the various modules. Actually though, I just realized. The software is controlled by the DVD, so you'd have to hack the DVD. If you took it out and popped it into a comp, then looked at the source, you could rather easily do away with the lines of code, BUT then you'd have to make sure it runs correctly by re-burning the DVD, and popping it back in to the NAV unit. And thats ASSUMING that the DVD doesn't have some kind of locks on it to prevent you stealing the source (which I can easily get around with some programs that I have but most don't). Problem is, I don't have a DVD burner anyway, so while I could POTENTIALLY do it if I happened to know the programming language its written in (probably C or something I can easily pick up), I couldn't just take out the lines, and reburn it. If someone wants to do this though, let me know, and we can collaborate on it. I'd like to get rid of this too....
I think that you are right and on to something here... I am surprised that I never thought about that. I may try to hack some of the code on the DVD, deycrpt it and re-burn it just for giggles. I know some else said that it has been tried but what the hell, I am only wasting a little time and a blank DVD. I hate the **** OK button.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM

I have tools beside those to burn the cd. I think one of them was good enough to even image the propietary stuff itself, so that when you're ready to burn the CD/DVD back together, you could. I will read those posts as soon as I get home, I'm in my circuits class right now....

Quick Reply: Nav Nag Screen

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands