Nav Nag Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav Nag Screen

You mean something like this?? The link to the source code and utility to remove the nag screen can be found here http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51626. Oh, disclaimer is that you are on your on here...I'm not responsible if you fry your NAVI or otherwise create a monster...I haven't tried this but remember seeing it in the HAH posts on greenhybrid. I also read on another forum that this hacker "bysin" supposedly also hacked something bigger and better after this and was big time busted. Not sure if true or a rumor, it's just what I read.

Modify your navigation system
I've developed a program to modify the navigation system in Acura/Hondas.
The actual navigation system is in Windows CE running a SH-4 processor, similar to a Sega Dreamcast (if not identical). I just bought my TSX about 2 days ago, but luckily I had a lot of experience hacking the Dreamcast so it didnt take me very long to hack the navigation system.

Here is the link to the program including there Visual C++ source code:
http://www.linuxkiddies.com/bysin/navi.zip

This is the ReadMe contained in the zip, it includes step by step instructions on how to use the program:

DumpNAVI by bysin
-----------------
This program is used to list, extract, and modify files contained in an XIP BIN file located on Acura/Honda navigation DVD. This system has been tested on the TSX. Use at your own risk.

Some of the things I have been able to modify are:
- Changed the background picture to my own personal image.
- Removed the "nag screen" at the beginning screen.
- Change some of the words that pop up.

Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to modify files in your navigation system. It requires a DVD-ROM drive and a CD or DVD burner.

1. At the main screen of the navigation system, hold down the Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel buttons for 5 seconds.

2. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen.

3. Hold down the Menu button for 5 seconds.

4. Write down the filename next to the words "Loading Filename" (ex. BNHN404A.BIN).

5. Open your trunk and find the DVD player attached to the navigation system.

6. Push down the front plate and eject the Navigation DVD-ROM.

7. Place the DVD in your computer and copy all 9 BIN files onto your hard drive (should be around 104 MB), this includes:

BN2HH12C.BIN
BN2HH110.BIN
BN2HH120.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
BN2HN12B.BIN
BN2HN18B.BIN
BN2HN380.BIN
BNHH401A.BIN
BNHN404A.BIN

8. Use the dumpnavi tool to extract the files on the BIN file that was on your car, ex:

dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN extract

9. The files will extract to the directory associated with the name of the file.

10. After modifying the files, use the dumpnavi tool to update them to the BIN, ex:

dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update Back.bmp
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update navi.exe navi-nonag.exe
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update Diag.exe

11. Copy the modified BIN file, including all other BIN files (9 in total) to a blank CD or DVD.

12. Insert the origional navigation DVD back into the DVD-ROM in your car.

13. Start the car normally, and at the main navigation screen hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel for 5 seconds once again.

14. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen once again.

15. Take the origional navigation DVD out of the car, and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created.

16. Hit the "Load Disc" button on the Version screen.

17. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to load the new BIN and reboot. Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the origional navigation DVD.

18. If anything goes wrong, remove the ground to the battery for 30 seconds with the origional DVD in the car. The old OS will load back on the system.

Last edited by kaymack; 04-13-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also see here for examples of hacked spalsh screens on Honda and Acura NAVI http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51741

Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It can be done, but sadly I don't have a DVD burner....

Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Very nifty (assuming it works)! I'm a bit lost on the instructions, though. Where do the files actually get modified to eliminate the nag screen? Is that what the "dumpnavi" program does?

Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 PM

Yeah, but we've got a slight problem. The instructions don't work for our car for two reasons:

1. The DVD isn't in the back, and

2. When you check for the bin file, it doesn't display it following those instructions. I tried playing around with it to find it, but to no avail. I'm going to study the DVD right now....

Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 PM

Nope, configuration is TOTALLY different....those cars have older model DVD's in them....ours are brand new, I will try and find the code with a hex editor, assuming its written in windows CE.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Oh, and we need a SH-4 disassembler....anyone happen to have one ????

Old 04-13-2006, 05:14 PM

So if you read to the end of the threads, it WON'T work with an 06 TSX, which means it WON'T work with an '06 HCH....bummer. Since I don't have an SH-4 disassembler, I can't really expect to go through the lines of hex code one by one and find the command....looks like we've hit a bump in the road....

Old 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM

Well, the startup screen it seems HAS been changed and works on an 06 Hybrid, but not the no-nag hack. I guess I can download an assembler, but even so, looking at the lines of code, it doesn't just jump out at you the lines of code that involve the statements which call and make you wait for the button to press ok.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM

From reading these TONS of postis, it seems that there is a guy from Southern New Hampshire whos handle is guicide. He owns an 06 Civic Hybrid. I'm going to try and get him to come over to OUR forum and see if he can share what hes got in terms of getting rid of that Nag screen (the disclaimer screen). I need to try and get a hold of him though....

Quick Reply: Nav Nag Screen

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands