need help...swirl mark on paint :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default need help...swirl mark on paint :-(

so i got a swirl mark on the hood of my car, i've tried using some spray wax on it (as i'm out of regular wax) and the mark simply won't go away. upon passing your fingers over it you wouldn't be able to tell it's there, as the scratches don't go deep enough, but i can't get the marks to disappear. can somebody help me as to a way of getting rid of it? i finally just got my permanent license plates put on her today and i dont want it to look like it's gettin worn already . here's an image of what it looks like:

Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: need help...swirl mark on paint :-(

What caused it?

Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

well, there was something that looked like cracking on my hood, so just to make sure it wasn't bird crap or something i tried buffing it out with some cleaning solution and it wouldn't come out. so i tried something a little stronger (hard water spot remover) and it came out! but i accidentally used the kind meant for windows instead of the kind meant for paint (the kind for windows is more abrasive) so i ended up with the swirl marks :-(

i know it was my fault because of my own stupidity, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Looks just like my mark, great picture of it. I couldn't seem to capture mine in a photo. Anyway, I used some Scratch X on my car. It helped some, not a lot, but enough to make me think it didn't happen. That clear coat is sensitive. You can get it at any major auto store. It's about 8 bucks.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Personally I wouldn't do anything else to it.
I'd take it to a professional bodyshop and get an estimate.
If you don't like what they have to say I'd get a couple more estimates.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Try the Zymol polish/wax combo. It comes in a shampoo bottle, with blue cream on the inside. Should run you $9 a bottle. The stuff keeps breaking down with gentle buffing, and it smells great.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys, i have some Scratch X on the way but i'm leaving for vegas today and won't be back til sunday, i'll let you guys know if it worked or not, and if not, i'll try the zymol.

bigbearballs - thanks for the comment, taking a decent pic. of it was pretty tough, i actually took 3 pictures and that was the only one that showed what it really looked like, i'll post some more pics. after i (hopefully) get it fixed.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM

scratch X is your best bet, then a finer polish, then finally a wax. please note that the paint on most modern honda's is pretty thin, so don't go overboard, otherwise you will make it worst.

i'm saying this because if you just bring it to somebody to "machine buff" it, you might be in for a big surprise, do this by hand, otherwise, have them repaint the area.