In need of some good advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default In need of some good advice

I currently own two hybrid cars. One of which has been giving me problem after problem. It is a 2004 honda cvic hyrid. I had the start up jutter problem and after bringing it to the dealership a number of times, they finally changed the start clutch. Well, to be honest, the judder went away and now a new noise has come about. It sounds like air is getting into the engine or transmission. Almost like a whistling sound. The dealership told me that this new noise has nothing to do with the new start clutch, and that it is from a different part of the transmission. The final damage is $3,200. What can I do? This new noise was never there until they changed the start clutch. In need of some good advice, Chris.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Think green.
Default Re: In need of some good advice

When you say the final damage is $3,200 do you mean they charged you that amount for the start clutch? Because according to Honda Service Bulletin #07-049 the warranty extension for start clutch judder is supposed to cover the car up to 7 years or 105,000 miles whichever occurs first.

I think the 7 years goes according to the inservice date, but I'm not sure; it may be the manufacture date, which you should be able to find out from the VIN number. If you were within the 7 years and 105,000 miles you shouldn't have been charged for the CVT start clutch fix.

I think after my start clutch was replaced I heard a new sound; to me it sounded like a "tweet" which I hear for a few minutes after a cold startup. After the car warms up the tweeting goes away. Not sure if this is the same sound you are hearing in your car.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

When I said the final damage was $3,200, it wasn't the cost of the start clutch. The start clutch cost me around $500.00, and honda paid for the rest. I was talking about the noise from the new start clutch. The tech at the dealership said to make that noise go away it would cost me $3,200. This new noise is just awful, its really messed up how I bring my car in to get one noise fixed and this new comes about from the procedure. I also have the 2004 honda cvic hybrid, Gairwyn. I had my car fixed under the extended warranty of 105,000 mile, but after about 110,000 the judder had come back and now it was out of warranty.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How often do you change the CVT oil? Most of us do it every 30'000 miles! I think they did something wrong in your car and they should correct their mistake! Take it back and tell them to do the job correct. It is their mistake, so fix it ! H

Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Think green.

Maybe you should call Honda corporate and see if they have any idea what the noise could be, and if it's the fault of the job the dealership did, have it fixed at less cost than the tech is telling you.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast

I change my oil quite frequently, maybe every 5,000 miles and also change the transmission fluid about every 30,000 miles. I think that I will contact the dealership again and be more demanding.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well it sounds as if you have done your part!, Chris H

Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast

Today, I called the dealership, and spoke to the head of service. He told me that he had spoken to honda and that the next procedure would be to replace the whole transmission. Also he said that honda would pay for $1,100 and that I would have to pay the remainder of $1,600. Are you kidding me, what the hell of up with that. I had the judder noise before and when they fixed it, a new noise comes about and now I have to pay more money? Is it time to get a lawyer or what should I do?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Think green.

If you don't want to go that route, and other than the noise the car is performing alright, are you in any position to trade the car in for something else (at another dealership of course)?