New Tires - Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Tires - Report

Long-time lurker, first post. I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid. Most of my miles are highway miles. I have long thought that the OEM Dunlops were not safe at speeds over 60 mph. In my experience, the tires wander over the pavement too much and the sidewalls are weak leading to sway. As most of you know, the OEM tires are terrible in the rain as well. At 22,000.00 miles, I decided I either needed to sell the car or get new tires if I was going to keep the car as the OEM tires were worn out. For a variety of reasons (current gas prices included), I chose to keep the car and get new tires. After much research, I went with Yokahama Avid TRZ tire. My experience so far has been a much improved driving experience at highway speeds and no hydroplaning in rainy conditions. The tires don't wander or flex like the OEM Dunlops and highway noise is down considerably too. Surprisingly, I have not experienced any noticeable drop in FE. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to replace the OEM tires. It really has been like driving a new car.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires - Report

Welcome and congrats on finding a good replacement tire. We always need more good data on such.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:30 PM

I find the OEM Dunlaps handle well on my HCH 2006, but I don't like the noise they make. The next tires will not be the Dunlaps. H

Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good to know... Thanks

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Im thinking about replacing my wheels and tires with a set of OE 2006-08 Honda Civic Si 17" rims and factory rubber when the time comes. I have heard of someones FE dropping like 7-8 mpg or something ridiculous though with the swap, anyone else think Ill take a hit like that in FE? It would be nice to have your cake and eat it to with this car, although I enjoy the FE I dont feel confident at all with the hybrid wheels.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 AM

I think you will take a hit, but they will look good. H

Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave1267
After much research, I went with Yokahama Avid TRZ tire.
This tire was recommended to me by Tire Rack also.

I am curious to hear more about your experience with this tire on your HCH, please update with more info as you gain more experience with theses tires.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

the OP responded to a PM I sent and I thought I would post his response here also, since it contains info helpful to anyone considering the Yokohama Avid TRZ's

Originally Posted by Dave1267
I have put about 1000 miles on the tires now. I have inflated them to 35 psi (about 5 to 7 psi less than max psi). Before the tire change, I averaged between 42 and 44 mpg. Since the change, I have averaged 42 mpg. I expect that number to improve over time as the tires wear in. I really don't hypermile so I have no idea if the tires are capable of delivering the kind of high mpg that people sometimes get out of the OEM Dunlops. That said, I love the tires. Really, they are the best tire I have ever owned. I have also driven a 2007 si Civic and the grip and handling is similar now in my hybrid! Considering I'm still getting at least 42 mpg with these tires, I am very pleased.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

What I went from 185/70/14 on the HCHI wheels to the 205/50/15 HCHII with dunlop direzzas (a 300 tw tire) - on a light, 15x7 forged 10.2 pounds wheel.

Much better grip, better sidewalls and feel - total mpg loss, around 2mpg avg.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

Dave1267, what size Avid TRZ's did you go with?

Quick Reply: New Tires - Report

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands