New Tires - report rating Low Rolling Resistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires - report rating Low Rolling Resistance

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Meaning a set for spring/summer/fall, and a set for winter, or something totally different (like Blizzaks) for winter?
No sorry. What Gumby said.

2 sets. 1 for 3 seasons and the other for winter. I have Blizzaks as well. They are hands down the best snow tire.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by gumby
I'm pretty sure livvie meant something totally different (like Blizzaks or Michelin X-ICE) for winter tires. The Sumi's are NOT all-season, and therefore likely quite poor in snow. If you get ANY snow you must drive in in the winter, I'd be iffy about using a summer tire then. Traction will not be good. Rain and/or cold is no problem, but snow is another matter. That said, some people *get by* with summer tires all-year-round. All-season tires are (of course) better for this purpose, but compromises are made to achieve all-season.
Summer tires typically have better traction, wet & dry braking, & cornering abilities than all-season tires.
True winter tires (Blizzaks, X-ICE) are vastly superior to all-season (and summer) tires in snow and slush.

Getting a totally separate set is not really more expensive over the long run, other than getting a second set of wheels to mount them on. Many people do the steel wheel thing, or even buy inexpensive alloys for the winter set of tires. Road salt and slush take their BITE out of rims in nasty winters anyway. Let it eat away at cheaper rims!
Storing the out-of-season set of tires/rims can be an issue, however.
Some people opt to swap the tires on the same set of rims, but that's hard on the rims, and gets expensive (mounting & balancing costs). Plus you still have to store the out-of-season tires. And the single set of rims are at the mercy of the winter sludge and salt.

To handle the winter sludge I coat the inside of my winter set of rims (I bought a set of Civic HX alloy rims) with clear coat rim spray paint that you can pick up at any automotive store. I put on 3 coats. My rims after 4 season still look new. The paint gives a real smooth surface making durt/sludge hard to take hold.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks Livvie. That is very good infoe. It is a terrible job trying to scrub that stuff off. H

Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
Thanks Livvie. That is very good infoe. It is a terrible job trying to scrub that stuff off. H
When I take the winter set off for storage I wash them out with simple green and water (using an OXO automotive tire/rim brush (super soft bristles)).