New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Is this what you got:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

If so, it's in all weather tire and you are ok. But the weight of the tire might be more than what you originally had on it. Anyway, it appears you have an alternate size tire which will do wonders to mpg.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 PM

M+S tires are AllSeason tires. They are NOT dedicated snow tires.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Is this what you got:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

If so, it's in all weather tire and you are ok. But the weight of the tire might be more than what you originally had on it. Anyway, it appears you have an alternate size tire which will do wonders to mpg.
How can you tell that I have "an alternate size tire"? I am looking on Tire rack and do not see my exact tire that reads P195/65R15. What part of the tires numbers/letters would let me know I have an alternate size tire?

I am having a crash corse in tires today

Old 02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Even if this was a heavier (by .5-1 pound) tire, that is not LRR - it could not lead to 10 mpg loss. I have friends who put high performance tires on their HCHI and still only lost 2-3 mpg. If that.

Make sure you all your maintence is up to date.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

I was wonderering the same thing...why you got M+S tires. But for the tires to such an effect on the mpg???

Don't know. If you swap out the tires, please let us know if your regular mpg returns.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by shine5555
How can you tell that I have "an alternate size tire"? I am looking on Tire rack and do not see my exact tire that reads P195/65R15. What part of the tires numbers/letters would let me know I have an alternate size tire?

I am having a crash corse in tires today

Sorry... if you have an HCH II (I was looking up HCH I, which I have)... then that's the OEM size.

Here are the oem tires that came with the car:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/OETire...cleSearch=true

Last edited by livvie; 02-16-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 AM

M+S is all season (my bad). A snow tire will have the Snow mountain symbol on it.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 AM
EKL
Active Enthusiast

Shine5555, How was the wears of your old tires, any problems with inside wear? Did your dealer check aligments for all wheels?
I have a 06 HCH and found that my rear wheels have more than 2.4 deg negative cambers but the dealer told me that is still within mfg spec. Which I think its cause my tires wears funny.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EKL
Shine5555, How was the wears of your old tires, any problems with inside wear? Did your dealer check aligments for all wheels?
I have a 06 HCH and found that my rear wheels have more than 2.4 deg negative cambers but the dealer told me that is still within mfg spec. Which I think its cause my tires wears funny.

My tires where bald down the center. The outsides where in great shape. Hope that helps

Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by shine5555
Honda agreed to split the tires with us because the tread was very very very uneven. Only the middle of the tire was bald (wires where exposed). Two dealers said this was from not rotating the tires and poor aliment. We had our receipts that we had the tires rotated and aligned at the Honda dealership. After fighting with them, they agreed that we did what was expected of us and “maybe” someone might have forgotten to rotate the tires at the dealership
That sounds like a lawsuit, to me. They should have paid 100%, and I would have reported the incident to the proper agency anyway.

Quick Reply: New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands