Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
no more oil
Default Re: Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

gang

i believe finding ways to improve our mpg is a good thing. But when we start spending money like this to do so, it starts to appear less than stellar. I have some ideas of my own to milk as much mileage as possible.

1) get a friend to use a tow truck to wheel your hybrid around, therefore netting 1,2343,370MPG on average (minus the tow truck charge)

2) drive off a 2 mile high cliff , then calculate the hospital costs and vehilce write off costs vs the free 2 miles using no gas.

3) make rigged bets with friends , so that when they lose, they are obligated to push your hybrid around town for one full year.

4) go get a stage set up from Hollywood to make it look like scenery is going by when you are sitting in the hybrid, thus getting unlimited mileage. The trick there is to get as realistic scenery as possible to make the experience worthwhile.

5) get a camcorder and tape record someone else driving their hybrid and superimpose your face on the driver, thus netting unlimited mileage driving the hybrid.

6)my favorite, get a rope and 'hogtie' the car in front of you while you are driving, then shut off your engine. The only drawback is that you are almost assured to go where they are. To defeat this, go to the FBI , and secure 'wiretaps' on people so that you know which person is going to the store when you want to, then rope that specific car.

hope this helps

Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by foo monkey
It's a total, complete, 100% scam.

Nitrogen-filled tires are used by high-performance racecars. NASCAR, F1, Indy, etc. When you're going 180 MPH, your tires and brakes get really f'ing hot. Nitrogen is much less reactive to heat, thus making tire inflation changes much easier to predict. At these speeds, 1/4 lb of pressure in just one tire can make a significant difference. If you're driving your HCH at those speeds, under that kind of braking (sp?), you'd better be doing it on a racetrack. (Your MPG will also suck.)
This is the only reason to use nitrogen... everything else you heard is bogus.

Now, if the price were the same... go nitrogen.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
This is the only reason to use nitrogen... everything else you heard is bogus.

Now, if the price were the same... go nitrogen.
I agree here completely.

Air is 80% Nitrogen, and for normal circumstances I don't think 16% more pure nitrogen will make any measurable difference.

You can find air content here:
http://www.uigi.com/air.html

Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 AM

What should really be addressed here is the moisture content that goes into your wheel when you fill up at an air pump.

If the air pump could filter out most of the moisture in the air, then you would NOT have drastic differences in PSI due to a hot/cold tire. I believe the nitrogen air pumps are devoid of any moisture content and that's a big reason why you don't see unpredictable PSI numbers given the temp of the tire.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
What should really be addressed here is the moisture content that goes into your wheel when you fill up at an air pump.

If the air pump could filter out most of the moisture in the air, then you would NOT have drastic differences in PSI due to a hot/cold tire. I believe the nitrogen air pumps are devoid of any moisture content and that's a big reason why you don't see unpredictable PSI numbers given the temp of the tire.
This is a good point. The water (moisture) content is the only thing that would effect how a tire pressure changes with temperature. The water may go from a liquid to gas (evaporate) when the tire heats up or gas to liquid (condense) when the tire cools down. The temperature-pressure profile would be different for a dry-filled tire versus a wet-filled tire. There should be no difference in the temperatue-pressure profile for a nitrogen filled tire versus an oxygen filled tire. They both remain gases over the entire operating conditions of the tire and both behave identically as ideal gases.

I notice that the website posted in this forum claims that nitrogen filled tires hold their pressures better because the molecular size of nitrogen is bigger than that of oxygen. The size difference is only about 5% and would not make a difference in leak rate of 3 to 4 times as the website claims. Most likely, there would not be a noticable difference.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I notice that the website posted in this forum claims that nitrogen filled tires hold their pressures better because the molecular size of nitrogen is bigger than that of oxygen. The size difference is only about 5% and would not make a difference in leak rate of 3 to 4 times as the website claims. Most likely, there would not be a noticable difference.
If we want a really dense gas molecule, that won't leak, lets try uranium hexafluoride....

On a second thought, better not....

Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

Costco will fill your tires up with nitrogen, from tanks, thus being very dry, for free. They also do free tire rotations.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas911
Costco will fill your tires up with nitrogen, from tanks, thus being very dry, for free. They also do free tire rotations.
Hmmmm....free tire rotations? It would be cheaper to join Costco for that than go to the Honda Dealer for the rotation!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 AM

N2 expands as much as any gas mixture in the quantities, temps, and pressures we care about here.

PV = nRT. Its called the universal gas law for a reason.

Molecule size has negligible effect on 'leakage' through tire 'pores'.

Its the water that makes the difference. N2 is pumped in"dry" as in no moisture coming out of the bottle. THAT is the only advantage. You could get the same effect using an air dryer/dessicant tower with regular air if you got the dewpoint low enough.

There have been threads about this before-
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...light=nitrogen

Quick Reply: Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands