Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

Originally Posted by texas911
Costco will fill your tires up with nitrogen, from tanks, thus being very dry, for free. They also do free tire rotations.
Tire rotation is free only if you bought the tires from them. It's the same at many tire shops.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
Tire rotation is free only if you bought the tires from them. It's the same at many tire shops.
Ah-that was obviously not clear in the quote. Thought maybe it was a Member Perk (which would be a surprise at the low margins with which Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's operate).

Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Free tire repair (flat repair), balancing and rotation was a member benefit (regardless of where tires were purchased) several years ago. They did change the policy. Found out the hard way when I went to get a tire fixed about a year ago!

Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had the tires on my old gas gussler filled with nitrogen about 4-5 months ago, and they are still full.

As I just bought and filled my HCH2 about a week ago, I won't know how much the tires deflate for a few months. The dealer that did it insists that most tires with air leak about 1psi per month, where I should be good here for 3-4 months or more. And they inspect and refill them for free. Hopefully it will work out.

A friend of mine had her tires filled about a two weeks ago and picked up 3mpg on her first tank of gas. She has a long commute and drives pretty much the same route everyday (she was averaging about 25mpg before and had her highest every of 28+mpg last week. (The delaer did say the mileage increase was more noticable on heavier vehicles).

I guess if someone is checking tire pressure daily or weekly, as I assume hypermilers are, it might not pay to fill with nitrogen, but for the rest of us, it is probably a good idea. The dealer also said the moisture inside the tire affects tire life and safety, and there is no moisture with the nitrogen. He also said that there are systems out there that only put out about 90% nitrogen, which does not help much. The system I did my tires on was tested to well above 96% pure nitrogen and climbing when they took the guage off.

Time will tell...

Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
The dealer that did it insists that most tires with air leak about 1psi per month, where I should be good here for 3-4 months or more.
This sounds like a snake-oil salesman to me. I check my tires once every three months, and never need to adjust them (except to adjust for summer vs. winter temperature changes which does affect psi). Pressure affects how the tire contacts the road - which is the only thing that matters. The gas used to create the pressure is not relevant (for normal, passenger cars). But, do whatever you like - it's your car. However I'll bet this is a trend that vendors will exploit until the public becomes educated enough to realize it's a sham.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I fill my tires with MPG Caps.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by foo monkey
I fill my tires with MPG Caps.
No wonder they're NOT working for you!! - They go in the gas tank
And your $$$ out the tailpipe, I suspect.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Slightly used.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only pills that help gas are Simethacone.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by jaykay
The only pills that help gas are Simethacone.
Funny! Must have kids!

Quick Reply: Nitrogen filled tires... Any Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands